Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

atv in truck bed

Old 08-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv in truck bed

i have a ford f350 im thingking of putting my atv in the back. i have 6' ramps and it looks like a bit of a climb. any suggestions?
thanks

Old 08-20-2006, 03:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default atv in truck bed

Longer ramps?

Old 08-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default atv in truck bed

Unless the truck is lifted the 6' ramps should work fine, just make sure that the ramps are attached to the truck so they don't get kicked out by the rear wheels of the quad when loading. If you're still worried about the angle, just look around for any slight rise - back the truck into it and load from uphill to lessen the angle.

Jaybee

Old 08-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default atv in truck bed

thanks guy's. the truck is not lifted, but the tail gate still stands close to for feet from the ground

Old 08-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer
Default atv in truck bed

It would be fine just stand up so u can lean forward.

I have drove up into a F150 Lifted 6inches with 32 in wheels the tailgate is probably easily 4foot off the ground. I used my 8 ft ramps and they worked fine they are just a set of 2x6's. No extra help. I hafta get a bit of a run at it otherwise I spin the tires.. I drive up into my F150 just regular ride height with my 8fts goes fine.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default atv in truck bed

I have the same situation getting into my truck. HD 4x4 with 72" ramps. It can be a bit of a climb, I always try to back up to a hill whenever possible. Getting a LITTLE momentum helps too, but more momentum=greater chance the ramps will slip. Definately use some safety straps and secure them to the truck! Anyways, I am only loading 2wd sport quads, is yours a 4x4? If so, use the 4x or low range and you should have no problems. A few people have told me I am crazy to use such short ramps with my truck, but after the first time I don't even break a sweat.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default atv in truck bed

I put indoor/outdoor carpet on my ramps and the little ramps over the wheel wells. Stopped all the wheel spin problems. Used lots of 3/4" staples from my air stapler to secure the carpet to the wood.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default atv in truck bed

You could also use grip tape like skateboarders use. I have metal ramps, and honestly even when everything is muddy and/or wet wheelspin is a concern but not a problem. I did want to add in, always wear your helmet while loading/unloading!

Old 08-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default atv in truck bed

With my wood ramps. I noticed someone saying about if you go to fast they will fly out.

Thats why you must think before you do. I bought a 2 ft peice of angle iron because it was all I could find at the time. cut it into 2 6inch peices and screwed it to the end of my board and it hooks onto the tailgate and sits in one of the groves so that it cannot move pulling on and off. It is very safe. I don't have a tailgate on my truck and it still works fine at the end of the bed were a groove is. When pulling on i just lay them on the bumper because they don't slide off when backing off, but if you go on with them on the bumper sinch the angle isn't log enough it has nothign to grab and can slide off the bumper.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default atv in truck bed

thanks guy's i just made some extentions for my ramps with some 2X12's the incline is a lot less hopefully they work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: atv in truck bed