Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

'05 eton 90r engine stalls

Old 08-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 eton 90r engine stalls

My sons 05 viper 90r stalls out when the tranny is shifted from N to forward or reverse. (a little history) The tranny started giving me trouble 2 months ago, it wouldn't engage sometimes and eventually stopped working all together. It would start great but wouldn't move. I replaced the cdi and now the engine goes dead when you shift into gear as if it is reved too high but this is at low idle. If I do trick it into gear it runs great at steady speeds but when you get off the throttle it goes dead. Thanks for any help.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Range Rover

The 90 R has a setup that will kill the motor if the RPMs are to high while trying to shift into and out of reverse. There was an adjustment or work around for it I'll see if I can find it....

Old 08-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've checked the archives in this forum and almost everything points toward high rpms. I'll give you the skinny on what I think I might have done. It screwed a couple of months ago, I replaced the cdi and it seemed to work pretty well as far as shifting is concerned but my son's riding along at high speed, lets off the throttle and it goes dead. So I set the idle up to see if that helps. It didn't. It wouldn't even shut off when you turned the key off,(not right away) so I set it back. It's possible there is a variation in the rpm cut-off between the two cdi's.I'll try setting it back more although it's pretty low. Seems like I may have caused a problem trying to fix one. If the idle down does work on the shifting problem I still have the "shut off while going fast and then slowing down" problem. As for that, I've allready changed the plug,gas,fuel filter, cleaned spark arrest, air filter, and cvt filter.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

Ill bet it s the gear shift motor. Had the same problem. Will explain our problem and you can decide. Ours started less then 30 days after purchase. At first the engine would die when accelerator was increased. Start and idle fine. Then would die about 3 seconds after shift to forward or reverse. After the engine died the dash lights would flash. At first we could turn off the ignition and the cdi would reset. E-ton sent us almost every electric part available to be replace and we did. The shift motor was saved for last as it is a major job to replace. the atv engine must be disonnected and the engine moved forward about 4 inches to get to the little electric shift motor. Hope your still under warranty. If not write to E-ton America as this seems to be a fault with this unit. Other then that the 90 seems to be quit well made. Good luck hope all works out for you.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I adjusted the idle down and now it shifts as it should. It's now idled quite lower than it was with the original cdi so apparently there was a slight variation in the two cdi's. The idle is so low that it is nearly at the point of shutting off. I still have the problem of stalling when there is fast deceleration. It wasn't ridden for the two months ( even though we did crank it every 4-5 days) so it may be a gummy carb issue. That could account for this problem and the rough idle at very low rpms. I'll be cleaning the carb this weekend and let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks for all your help and hopefully this can answer some questions for someone else.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Okay guys I cleaned the carb and it runs fine "when it will crank". I just replaced the cdi to solve a a shifting problem, now it'll stall during deceleration (sometimes) but sitting still you can rev it up and let off and there's no problem. Also I've read some things about having to reset the cdi to get it to crank, well that's what I'm having to do now. I go through these insane series of turning the key off, turn power switch off and on, ect....... At the moment it's sitting in the middle of my front lawn because I got tired of screwing with it and didn't feel like pushing it back to the shop. Any one have any ideas? By the way, can you convert the 90r to just a plain 90 with no reverse? My neighbor has three 90's with no reverse, they just crank in gear and they're gone. No problems with the high rpm's to go into gear and all the other crap that goes along with the "r".

Old 08-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

So, does anyone have any ideas about this? One minute it cranks fine, the next it has no spark. What would be the reason for having to reset the cdi. I know the deal with the tranny not being in sync with the gear switch but I can hear it shifting from F or R into N. Most people seem to have good luck with the 90 viper but I've had trouble since I bought it 1 1/2 years ago.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer

Ill tell you what happened to ours. At first it would die as yu gave it gas . It would start back up and idle fine. as it got worse the display lights would start flashing after it stalled. We would have to turn key off to reset the cdi. It got to the point that we had to push the quad forward or back to reset the cdi. Then it failed altogether. E-ton sent us about every electric replaceable part available. It turned out to be the gear shift motor behind the transmmission. You may check the safety break switch and shift switch but I believe your shift motor is going bad. Hope this helps mate.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

First of all I want to thank you for your responses. My first problem is that I'm not under warranty. What has me puzzled is the fact that it wouldn't go in gear and I replaced the cdi and it started to work again. That leads me to believe the shift motor is ok. Of course I'm not sure because I don't know alot about these atv's. After I first replaced the cdi it cranked as it should but would go dead when putting into gear. I idled it down and it started working ok except it would go dead when you would slow down. I've cleaned the carb already. Now it will crank sometimes and sometimes it has no spark. What do you think? Thanks again.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

At idle can you here the gears shift? And is the sift consisitant? If so this should eliminate the shift switch but maybe not the shift motor. Have you checked the brak safety switch on handle bar let side. Its a plunger type switch and may be malfunctioning. There are three sensers located on the right side going into the transmission. Pull the rubber cap and check these with volt meter. One should always be dead while the other 2 live. Depending on gear selection determins which are live or not. If this does not change it could be the motor. Again check all electric connections. Turn handle bars to left and look down to the front and you should see a 2 inch square silver electric part. Sorry dont know the name, We found the connections to it loose. Also e-to is notorious for bad ignition switches. We had to replace them all with aftermarkets. But this ususally is easy to tell as no lights will come on the dash.
Just read your last post again. Either the shift motor is going bad or one of the sensors I mentioned is going bad. There is a 4th senser on top of engine casing. Remove them and see if the plunger is moving in and out ok,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '05 eton 90r engine stalls