Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Blown Motor ????

Old 05-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Motor ????

Well just to make a long story short, my 2000 xpedtion 425 4X4 overheated, and since then my motor has had a knock. Sounds like from the case where the transmission is. I changed the oil and there was no antifreeze in it (no blown head gasket) Now oviously something is broke in there because the motor is knocking. Anyone ever have this happen to them. Any suggestion on how to ficks it and I looking at big bucks...... Thanks...

Old 05-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Blown Motor ????

Blown head gaskets don't make an engine knock. Bad rod bearings do and so do wrist pin bearings.
I, or anybody else for that matter with experiance could tell you in about 1.2 seconds if it was a rod bearing. Get someone to listen to your quad.

If it is a rod bearing, that is about as expensive as it gets. The engine is built around the crank and rod so that is the last part you can get to. So yes it is big bucks.

To fix it. Strip the engine down and replace the rod bearing.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Blown Motor ????

it could be one of your gears broken it hapened to me on my kfx

Old 05-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Blown Motor ????

I don't think it is one of my gears because, I can still shift it fine. By the way the quad still runs and drives fine. What should I do take it to a service shop, or run it the way it is (wich will proprably blow the motor). What is the easiest and lest expensive way to get this ficked. Service shop or get a new motor and replace it myselft. By the way how much does a motor for this quad cost and is there a website that I can look at for one... Also could the engine overheating have cause this proprablem or would it have been something else. I just bought this quad about 2 months ago of a dealership and I am having all of these problems. I am wondering if the motor was already going bad or overheating it caused it to knock now.. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer
Default Blown Motor ????

I have a 425 as well and it's bullet proof (3200k's). I believe the knocking is the clutch partially engaging. Turn the idle down slightly (**** sticking out from the bottom of the carb) and see if the knock is reduced.

Just a note the 425 had a recall on the clutch lock down bolt. You should be able to confirm through your dealer that this upgrade has been completed.

Totun

Old 05-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Blown Motor ????

Well I have noticed that the knock is not that loud, It just concerns me hearing it. Also I think when I rev it, it does not knock, I am going to pay closer attention when I do it tonight. As for that one part being recalled, do I just call any polaris dealer? I bought this one from a yamaha dealership. Also is there any other recalls or things that I should know about. This is my first quad and I have only had for 2 months.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Trailblazer
Default Blown Motor ????

I was concerned too when I bought my bike and had my dealer discuss this with Polaris. They told me about the idle and it worked and the sound was normal for a partially engaged clutch. It also became easier to shift.

There are shoes that are held in by springs and keeps them retracted at idle. When the RPMs increase they move out and grab. (Centrifugal force)

Just phone a dealer with your Vin#. The upgrade is free. Polaris had a bolt come loose that holds the clutch on and the upgrade is a locking bolt kit. They installed it at No charge.

I've had mine since Sept 1999 and there are no other recalls...

Totun

Old 05-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Blown Motor ????

Just to get this straight. I should just call the dealer and ask him if my quad had ever had the clutch hold down bolt replaced (being it was recalled). Now if he says yes, do you think it could have went bad again and should have him check it or could there be something bigger wrong. Also I just want to make sure your polaris is like mine. Mine is a semiautomatic and it has the shift pedal on the floor on my left side. Just asking because I have another friend with a polaris (not sure what kind) and his is just straight automatic with a shift **** on the top right....

Old 05-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default Blown Motor ????

Yes I have the exact same. Semi automatic 425 with a shifter. Polaris only made them for three years. Other than the predator and outlaw it is the only manual shift models that Polaris has made. All others are CVT (Belt) drive.

Polaris for liability reasons will have all the models that have had the up-grade on record. If your hasn't been done they will do it for free. The recall has nothing to do with your issue just your model. The bolt holding the clutch on would wind out and make contact with the outside cover....It happened once in 2000 and all the manual shift Expeditions that were made prior to that were recalled for a better locking bolt set-up...They changed it on all models after a certain point.

You've got a great bike. I ran it for a year and a half with-out an oil change and the oil was still green. The motor is solid a Fugi Industry made unit that is basically a de-bored 500 with a manual shift tranny on the side. In six years that I've had it I only cleaned the carb. once and put on a few air cleaners. I now have and 800 but still can't get used to the high revving at slow speed that is a characteristic on the belt drive. My Expedition is my explorer...

Totun

Old 05-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Blown Motor ????

Well I tried turning the idle down last night and the motor was still knocking. I kept turning it down almost to the point that it was going to stall. Also I have noticed that after I shut off the quad and I pull the cap of the pull start. It lets out some air, is that normal. And glad that you think that this is a good quad, so far I am having all kinds of problems. Last night I changed all of the tie rod ends and I notice that boot had come of my axel. So I need to buy some axel greese now any one know what type????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blown Motor ????