Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

what size for four year olds?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what size for four year olds?

I'm looking to get a couple of quads for my twin boy's that are four years old. I'm a newby to this scene and I don't have any idea on what size I should get them or brand. Any info would be a big help!!

Old 02-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

POWER WHEELS,

Seriously bud 4 is young. Just my opinion. At that age you just cant make rational decisions. Like when to apply brakes. You know the simple stuff.
Anyway that being said. I wouldn't go over a 50cc. And keep the power limiters in for awhile.
Oh and welcome to the forums.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very small. You may even want to consider a more toyish electric to start with.

If you do go with a gas ATV, get one of the small 50cc models. Make sure that it can be restricted by speed and had some form of remote cutoff. Kids will vary greatly but generally few four year olds will have the motor skill speed to control an ATV - especially if they are doing anything other than a slow speed puttering around a level yard.

You're the parent and no-one will know what your boys can do better than you. Whatever you do, don't get caught up in the "they can always grow into it' train of thought. Get them whatever works for them now, you can always sell it later.

Jaybee

Old 02-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thx for the responses! They have the powerwheels quads and I'm amazed at how well they ride those things. They have been riding them for about a year. What models of the 50's should I look into?

Old 02-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

we brought our grandkids kazuma 50 when one was 4 the other was 5, they had no problem riding these quads, remember if parnets waited until the kids were all grown up they're be no jeff gordons or all the rest, these racers started young and i'm a believer in teaching kids at a young age to ride and race, our son was racing motocross at age 5. we gave him a suzuki jr 50 at age 3, he was racing a suzuki rm 60 at 5,

Old 02-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer

I would recommend the Polaris Predator 50. Our son has one (he was 3 when he 1st started riding it) and we love it!) Besides being the nicest looking mini-quad, it has some great features. It has platforms on the foot rests which adjusts to the size of your child. It has a governor to control how fast/slow you would like your child to go. It has a wrist teather as well as a teather behind the machine (which is attached to a long leash). The one in the back allows you to walk behind the rider and kill the engine quickly, if needed.

As mentioned by another member, please use good judgement when determining if your child is capable of handling a machine such as this. Your child could be badly injured if he is not mature enough to ride it. My son is now 4. He also started out on a power wheels when he was 18mos old. He does a good job riding the Predator 50, but he is under very close supervision. We do not ride when he rides. We spend our time supervising him. We keep him on flat/open ground and have the governor set at a low speed. Also, make sure your child ALWAYS WEARS A HELMET and that it is properly fitted.

We also have a Predator 90 for our 8yr old daughter, who races it. It's a great machine.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

A micro 50 is what you need to look for. Eton rascal 40, Dinli Dino or JP, Polaris Predator 50, LEM Condor. I know the most about the DInli's. One feature that is a priceless option is the DInli's remote kill switch. What ever you decide remember that they are not babysitters and please make them wear a good fitting helmet all the time. Chest protector is a great investment also. Don't take this lightly. Remember, They will roll this machine at some point. Weight is king. DO you want a 130 lb machine on top of them or a 250lb machine on top of them? THat power wheels is only about 30 lbs. Something to remember.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer

edited by atvconnection moderator Sorry didnt know .

Old 02-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by: firedogger
I'm looking to get a couple of quads for my twin boy's that are four years old. I'm a newby to this scene and I don't have any idea on what size I should get them or brand. Any info would be a big help!!
Not to be a killjoy or anything, I'd check the laws in your state I have seen parents brought up on child abuse charges when there five year old was hurt while riding a quad he wasn't even hurt bad just a cracked rib. Like I said I don't want to be a killjoy, but make sure you cover all the bases. IMHO only.

Old 02-17-2006, 01:13 PM
"One Wheel Short"
slow day around the orafice I see!

when a child is "ready" really varies. My oldest boy who is now 6 started at 4 years old on an ETON 40. My opinion is the seat hight was slightly too high, we made floor boards to fix. He started racing 6 months later......

my lil guy "the Weeman" is 3. he has watched his brother ride, and we started him on an old school LT 50, the seat to peg is very short on those. He rode the LT for almost a year in an open field, about 7 months ago we let the boys ride together. Weeman is dialed in better than 80% of 5 year olds at the track. Last month, he raced his very first flat track race in monroe Wa and did very well for a 3 year old. There was a wreck and he drove around it. He now has a 06' Predator 50 (due to floorboards) and life is great. The only other quad to think abount IMO is the Zuki- Kawi 50 do to lightweight and seat height.

Buy the best gear you can, don't ever let your little one grow into a helmet, compliment the helmet with a neck roll and chest protector ( no cracked ribs ) and a pair of boots, don't forget the goggles! Have fun!

here is Weeman on his old school LT 50

Quick Reply: what size for four year olds?