Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 Polaris Sportsman 500 check-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Polaris Sportsman 500 check-up

I have a 2002 sportmans 500 ho and it only has about 100 hours on it still and i keep the oil changed every year. i recently was going to change all the fluids gear lube, hub lube, ect. First i took the 3 star screws off my front hub and pull the cap off to see fluid pour out. I was thinking the bearings was packed with grease not lube. anyway i drained it all out and cleaned the cap and seal good and put cap back on. then on the other side i just took the allen screw drain plug off to notice how much lube was in it. It seemed to be able half full and after draining the lube i took the cap off it and cleaned out all the dirt and mud around it and replaced it. I got a few questions though.

1.) On the front hubs do i just fill them half way up with hub lube? turn the hole to the side and fill it up till it runs out?

2.) on the front end where the axles go in there is no dipstick like there is on the rear? do i just fill it up to a certain level sorta like a car rear end? when it starts coming out its full? also what kind of lube do i need to put in there?

3.) Also on the rear end lube with the dip stick what kind of lube do i need to put in there? also how much lube does it hold so i dont overfill it and have to drain some out? should be a drain plug on bottom im assuming?

I want to use only polaris brand oils and lubes so any information on this would be great. I know how to change oil and oil filter fine just never messed with the gear lubes.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

1-Use the Polaris hub oil and it don't take much, turn the hub where the hole is at the side (3 oclock) fill it up and turn the hub till the hole is at 4 oclock position let the fluid come out then put the plug back in.
2-On the front diff. depends on which diff you have, I am going to go with the same thats in mine (mine is a 02 500 ho) use any 80/90 gear oil and fill to the bottom of the threads in the fill plug. It should be about 1 & 5/8 of an inch from the top of the housing.
3-On the rear end use 32 oz of fluid. its a syntheic gearcase lube. polaris # is 2871478

Old 02-10-2006, 12:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the fast reply. on the front diff where is the fill plug setting on the 4 wheeler on the right side or left? is there a drain plug on both front and rear? also will i need any new gasket washers or anything?

are there any other fluids i should check/change other that hubs, front diff, rear diff, gearcase lube, and antifreeze?

i noticed the front hub allen screws has magnets that catch metal shavings. are there any other magnets on front or rear diff?

you said use 80/90 on front diff will this work?
Pure Polaris AGL ATV Gearcase Lubricant

will that work in both front and rear diff?