Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1 pipe smoking > than other (banshee)

Old 04-03-2001, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have stock carbs, i guese stock jetting with dg silencers and kn filter. i just got toomey t5 pipes and jet kit. by installing the new main jets and needles and pipes, will this straighten everything right out?

also, i just had the top end done over 4months ago. so i guese it cant be worn rings, but you never know.

do you think the jet kit and pipes will straighten it out?

Old 04-03-2001, 11:35 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like you may have a broke ring on one side. Or it could just be a carb problem. I would run a compression check on each cylinder first and compare them.

Old 04-04-2001, 12:55 AM
Trailblazer

Hey. My Banshee smokes more out of the left pipe ( looking from behind the bike ) than the right one, but only when I first start it and warm it up. My dealer told me that this was because the fuel has a longer rout to get to the right carb, and therefore takes a little longer to get gas to the cylinder to burn. He said it is perfectly normal. This wouldn't seem to apply if yours does it all the time, however. Hope this helps.

Old 04-04-2001, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

My riding buddy says I always have a pipe smoking more than the othe (he can see it, he's behind ). It changes from left to right...that what he said...I never stepped of the bike to look at it.hehe. When cold, the right side wouldn't run (just going "pchoo"), and when warming, everything seemed correct.
Have you cleaned your carbs? are your plugs same age?

Old 04-04-2001, 02:32 PM
Range Rover

jg40178, sound like another dealership snow job to me. I take most of the crap dealers say with a grain of salt. Whats a couple more inches of fuel line matter? No more than 4 or 5 seconds after you turn on the fuel petcock, the bowls are filled even if they were completely empty beforehand. Sounds like the dealer just made up an explanation for you problem.

Old 04-04-2001, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

My right pipe smokes a lot more than my right. I think it's just normal. I'm no mechanic though.

RaptorZone, don't be such a jerk. A "probably not true" would have gotten your point across a lot better without making yourself sound like a knowitall.

Old 04-05-2001, 12:56 AM
Range Rover

Sorry War87, I just get very irritated when dealers make up stupid crap and feed it to somebody that doesn't know better. I haven't met a dealer yet that knows what they were really talking about........ and I refuse to let one touch my quad.

Old 04-05-2001, 01:03 AM
Trailblazer

I know what you mean. I don't trust anyone I'm giving my money to. I'll never trust my bike or anything else to a salesperson.

Old 04-05-2001, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

Are your carbs in sync with each other.... (slides moving at the same time?)

That will cause this also. In some cases depending on the bike, I have seen that problem fixed with different jets in each carb.
Are the plugs burning evenly? Is one richer or leaner than the other? thats the first thing I would look at. Then a compression test comes next.
This can also happen if the rings spun when intalling the pistons. If at all possible...Pull your pipes and look into the ports. You should be able to notice if there is a problem with blow by at that point.
Just a couple of ideas.
Good luck.

Old 04-05-2001, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer

Before i did my top end a few weeks ago, i had the same problem especially when warming up. When i had things apart i was checking out the throttle cable, and where it Y's under the gas tank the right side which was smoking was hung up where it fits together so it wasn't in sync with the other, it was just a tiny bit but that might have just been enough to make it smoke a little bit more at idle. because thats when i noticed it. and since then they have looked the same. but i'm sure you'll figure it out after some of the tests others have mentioned...comperssion..carb sync...plugs... oh and the fuel line does matter liek the dealer said, because i had to put a zip tie hooked from the balance tube to the fuel line because when i woudl get low on gas it wouldn't flow as good and when climbing steep hills (face at sand mountain) it would cut out, and this solved the problem. So raptorzone why dont you chill on what the other guy said ya ***.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1 pipe smoking > than other (banshee)