Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

solenoid on a champion winch, do I need it?

Old 12-30-2005, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solenoid on a champion winch, do I need it?

It doesn't mention it in the instructions but a solenoid came with the winch. It looks like it was intended to go inline on the "+" connector into the winch. Not being to familiar with all the wiring stuff I have it installed wired directly to the battery and am wondering if I should install the solenoid, what's it for? and should it just go inline with the positive wire?

Thanks all

Old 12-30-2005, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

I’ve been installing winches without the solenoids “on purpose” for 15 years, and still would be if it wasn’t for the slick factory prewired system on the new Polari (I’ve always liked that word better than Polarises, hehehe). The advantages to this method are you’ll get more power to the winch (the only difference between the Warn 2.0 and 2.5 is a better solenoid on the 2.5), It’s simpler to install and most important, with less complicated wiring it’s far more reliable. My winch is my last resort. When I need it, I need it bad and it has to work.

Without the solenoid your winch will operate regardless of whether or not the key is turned on (no bid deal for me, but if you have kids around who like to turn ***** and flick switches this could be a concern). You do run some extra risk of those wires running directly to/from the battery wearing through and causing problems. Wiring direct has never created a problem for me but I’m very careful where the wires run and to keep everything clean, neat and well-secured.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

On my Champion winch, the "solenoid" is actually a breaker, it protects the circuit. Say your doing a long pull and don't take any pauses, the circuit would heat up and this breaker would pop. Then you would have to wait 30 seconds or so and the breaker would reset and you could continue the pull. I agree with floodrunner's points though, the winch will work either way.

nowhereman