Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Foreman Electric Shift Problem

Old 11-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Foreman Electric Shift Problem

My 2000 Honda Foreman ES has a persistent problem where the LCD display goes from displaying the gear number to displaying a dash (--). Once this happens I am unable to shift gears. I have to stop, turn it off, turn the key back on and down shift to neutral before starting up again. It usually "lines out" in 3rd gear at about 25-27 mph. It's been to two different shops for this problem. One shop replaced the speedometer sensor and cleaned and adjusted the bank angle sensor, the other shop replaced the left handlebar switch. Neither of these solutions corrected the problem. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

well, i would have guessed the speed sensor first, but since that has been done, maybe keep looking...

You might have a bad ECM or corroded wires somewhere too. It could also be the gear position sensor as well. You might want to find out which code is coming up, might want to consult a manual for further troubleshooting. I know there was some problems with the angle sensors in those early models.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have had the same prob. with my 99.
Sorry I have know idea what causes it

Old 12-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice try quicksilver, but Honda didn't use a diagnostic memory until the 02 Foreman came out. So...there's no code storing capability. First, check the obvious...battery terminals tight? Check the connectors for bad pins or water contamination. Next, with a service manual, go to the ECM connector and do the tests listed in the book...everything can be tested with either resistance or voltage there...right at the source. If no abnormalities show up, you may be forced to guess. The next thing I would try is a new angle sensor.

Old 12-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

The problem was a faulty bank angle sensor. I ordered a new part and put it in myself and have not had a problem since. I ordered it direct from BikeBandit.com. Go to their website, choose OEM parts, put in your year, make, and model, and choose the schematic for "front crankcase cover". The part you want is #22, sensor assy., bank, part #149362-001, $57.44.

It is located on the front of the crankcase. You'll have to remove the angle sensor protector (#6) to get at it and I had to remove a front fender and one front wheel to get in there. Took about a half hour to do the job. Replaced the o-ring (#35) while I was at it.

I had taken it to a dealer service department and they could not get the bike to "line out". Basically, they didn't know what they were doing as they had never run across the problem. At the time I had no clue and they charged me a couple of hundred bucks to "clean and adjust the bank angle sensor". Well, I now know that there is no adjustment and nothing to clean. Just pull the old one off and put the new one in. A good service manual will also help.

Old 12-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

good to hear you got it fixed. The ES system had a few glitches in those earlier years. Usually ended up being the angle sensor, probably the least expensive and easiest part to install too. Maybe it wouldnt hurt to carry a new one with and all the tools to install it? I dunno. Maybe it's just a matter of time until my 05 starts acting up.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

My brother is having the same problem with his 04 rancher es it is doing the same exact thing....it shows the -- 's and its usually about the same speed range too....

Old 11-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2000 Honda Fourtrax 350 ES, and I recently welded a winch onto the frame behind the front bumper of my bike. After i welded it the gears no longer would shift up or down. My display is working fine the bike runs and idle fine, except the gears won't shift. I welded a different winch on my bike once before and all I did was un-hook the battery and let it sit for a while and the gears came back with no problems. This time the gears will not work. I have been advised to replace the bank angle sensor by others experiencing this problem with the ES versions, but they werent welding to the frame. I want to know if anyone has had this problem because of welding to the frame or if anyone could help me with some advice or tips on what to do? Would be much appreciated.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Range Rover

might have took out a senser . lost some led tail lights on my dodge once when i welded the bed back on