Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LTZ250 problem....any ideas??

Old 12-06-2005, 04:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTZ250 problem....any ideas??

My wife has a 2005 LTZ250. It has about 30 hours on it tops. She rides it like a "Mom" and is rarely in the higher gears and she NEVER is ripping around on it...just not in her personality.

Anyway, after about 15-20 hours, the ATV started cutting out/coughing/sputtering when you ride in 4th or 5th gear for any length of time. I'm talking about 2 minutes, less than it takes to go about a mile. Once it's starts sputtering, it will hiccup a few times and then completely die unless you down shift to 1st or 2nd gear and then go slow while the engine comes backs to life. The process then starts all over again when you get up to speed in the higher gears. It gets worse and happens more frequently as you continue to ride.

It starts up easily and re-starts pretty easy after stalling out.

It does NOT do any of the sputtering/stalling/hiccup-ing when the kids just motor around camp in 1st or 2nd gear no matter how long they ride.

Being in So Cal, the local dealer has nowhere to ride at high speed for any length of time so they can't replicate the issue. Consequently, it's been in twice and they've done nothing.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer

change the plug!!

Old 12-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Been done....problem doesn't go away.

Why would changing the plug matter anyway if it runs fine all the way thru the gearing, still runs fine in top gear for a minute or two, and then starts to falter?

Old 12-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Had a similiar problem a while ago. Changed plugs, changed air filter, then pulled carb and sprayed with carb cleaner. This worked for a while then the sputtering started again at the higher speeds. This time I pulled the carb and removed the bowl to check the main jet. What I found was a very small ANT (as in insect) in the bowl. Apparently this thing would get sucked up into the jet when the Z called for more fuel.

What I would try is pulling the carb and spray some cleaner through it. The fun part is getting the throttle cable off. But gets easier after you do it once. Either that or have the dealer look at it closer since you have such low hours. Sometimes this can be an electrical problem. These units are too fun to ride so I hope you get it figured out soon.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input. My riding friends that have forgot more than I'll ever know about this stuff also think it my electrical in nature.

Of course, the dealer can't make it re-occur so they are pretty much blowing me off....or at least that's the way I feel about it.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Got a call from teh dealer this morning. They called Suzuki and they said that it's a fuel petcock issue. The problem is warranteed so no $$ out of pocket either!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

I don't see how that could be a fuel petcock issue. I'd have to agree that it is most likely crap in the carb. I have not had this problem on my Z250, but I had the same thing happen on the 160. Took the carb apart and cleaned it, problem solved.

Old 12-11-2005, 02:25 AM
Trailblazer

this sounds really stupid but its an idea, FILL UP ON GAS,haha try it its a thought

Old 11-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a problem with my ltz 250 (2004) clutch slipping and if any1 can reply to this as soon as they can it would be a huge favor because we r going riding in less then a week

Old 11-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have you checked the oil level? What kind of oil did you use in your last oil change. Do not use automotive oil because of the extra slick stuff in there. Hope you used only oil designed for ATV's and haven't added any stuff to the oil like Slick 50. Other than that your problem could be deeper into the tranny.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LTZ250 problem....any ideas??