Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Carb Help Please - Bayou 220

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Help Please - Bayou 220

I'm new to this board, and I'm hoping soembody can help with my problem. I bought a 95 Bayou 220. It was pretty rough, but the price was right. I got it to run, and have been working through the problems. The one I can't seem to solve is the carb settings. The problem is that it seems to run ok at idle, but will fall on it's face and die as I slowly roll on the throttle. If I try to ride it around, it won't run at a constant low throttle speed, I have to constantly work the throttle to keep it running. It also has a tendancy to lightly backfire throug the exhaust when I rev it in neutral and back off. I've cleaned the tank out, and rebuilt the carb (carb was full of nasty stuff). Before the rebuild, I had to keep the choke half way closed to get it to run, and now it will run with no choke, but it's still not right.

I've done a search of the baord, and learned that I'm appartently not the only one having problems, but got no real answers other than that the air screw should be 1.5 - 2 turns out (this must be the screw that goes up from the bottom?). The idle screw seems pretty self explanitory, but I'm not sure what to do with the jetting.

I'm not sure how to set up the needle jet, and am thinking this may be part of the problem. When I took the old one out, the "E" clip that holds it in place fell off before I could see which groove it was in. There were no shims under the clip, but which groove should I start with, and could this be the problem?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Todd

Old 11-06-2005, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Help Please - Bayou 220

did you clean the low speed circuit good that could be your problem uss a pipe cleaner and clean it really good in the little holes on the airbox side of the carb. sometimes just spraying carb cleaner through doesnt work good enough if theres alot of buildup. yes the pilot is on the bottom and it should be 1 1/2 out. start in the middle groove with the little e cilp. to richen the mixture move the e clip down to make it leaner move it up.