Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

New Enclosed trailer need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Enclosed trailer need ideas

Hey everyone I just got a 7x16 Covenant cargo enclosed trailer and I have tried and tried but can not find a good source of info on how to do modifications. I currently have the hard board type inside walls but am thinking i might need plywood I would like a cabnet and work shelf with cabinet in the front. I dont want to buy the expensive aluminum helmet holders and stuff but would like something to hold my helmets and goggles on the wall. What size screws should I use on the walls?and do I screw into the frame or if I get plywood just into the wood depending on the weight?? Thanks for any help.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

was looking to do mod's on our toyhauler, a co-worker suggested that i call a van conversion company (in yellow pages under "v"). so, i did, the guy i talked to was very helpful, and let me pick his brain for a half hour. most do free estimates. so, you could take it in for an estimate, then get it all in writing, then you would know what you would need to do. this guy i talked to just converted a standard toy trailer into a recreational vehicle. he said, of course, that alot of mod's depend on what the trailer is made of. how thick, how much insulation, where the studs are placed, blah blah. try the van conversion thing, may work out for what you're looking for. take in the owner's manual, or contact the manufacturer for any kind of specs they would need to know to do your estimate. you may have some luck by calling the manufacturer of the trailer, sometimes, if you're lucky, a sales guy will know of what companies to call for mod's. i have some pretty good websites available if you may be thinking of modifying beyond some cabinets, i have great websites to check out for electric beds and stuff. good luck.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

Hey everyone I just got a 7x16 Covenant cargo enclosed trailer and I have tried and tried but can not find a good source of info on how to do modifications. I currently have the hard board type inside walls but am thinking i might need plywood I would like a cabnet and work shelf with cabinet in the front. I dont want to buy the expensive aluminum helmet holders and stuff but would like something to hold my helmets and goggles on the wall. What size screws should I use on the walls?and do I screw into the frame or if I get plywood just into the wood depending on the weight?? Thanks for any help.
>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm looking at doing the exact same thing but maybe a step further. I want to put cabinets in the front to store some gear as well as a TV and DVD player along with a radio/stereo. I want to put a fold up plywood/pressboard table on one side that can be put down and used as a work bench or place to have a meal, then just fold it back up when not in use. I also want to put in hooks to hold helmets etc.......anyone have any ideas for hooks that will keep gear from falling off. I also have same questions regarding mounting stuff to the inside walls. One guy said I needed to frame in any cabinets I put in.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey guys,
I would also suggest insulating them. Check out my pics.
Also, look or search for the topic on here...INSULATING ENCLOSED TRAILER
I'll also have some more pics soon with my cabinets and metal shelving I put in.

If you put anything on the walls, get some self-tapping sheet metal screws and screw into the wall studs.
Really light stuff like hooks, you can probably use wall molleys, but anyhting heavy use the studs.

I got lucky and scored on some super lightweight metal cabinets out of some really old apartments,
those worked out great.
Just remember when adding cabinets and stuff to keep the weihgt down as much as you can.

Good Luck

Old 09-29-2005, 06:46 PM
Trailblazer

Here's what I did with an empty 7X14 trailer 3 years and $14,000 later....

Trailer photo album

Radical

Old 09-30-2005, 12:46 AM
Quad Patrol

Radical, that is a pretty sweet set-up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Is the $14,000 including the the price of the trailer? If not, why not buy a toy hauler?

Old 09-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Radical, that is a pretty sweet set-up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Is the $14,000 including the the price of the trailer? If not, why not buy a toy hauler?
No, the total investment of the trailer and mods is north of $18,000. This does not include my labor. It may sound high, but I got what I wanted. Here is my logic...

Low initial investment($4,600.00).
No loan needed or interest paid.
Towing weight limitations of tow vehicle (F150, 7700#).
Appearance (looks better than most toy haulers IMHO).
All aluminum construction=long service life.
"As-build" design allowed actual use to dictate final design and fuction (three years and still making changes).
Build quality second to none (this is a no-sh*ter).
I have the capability to do the design and construction work myself.
There are simply no toy haulers on the market that is as capable and flexible in such a small lightweight package.

Given the chance to do it again, (I) would do it. I am pleased as hell with the outcome.....It works for me!

Radical

Old 09-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Radical

Given the chance to do it again, (I) would do it. I am pleased as hell with the outcome.....It works for me!

Radical
Looking at the pictures you provided, the craftsmanship looks great. Sounds like you thought everything out and it worked nicely for you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] You do have a very nice one of a kind trailer.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

i agree, but have one question, do you really need a hensley hitch on a 14 foot trailer? i can see why your 18k in the hole. Looks amazing though, something im looking to do in the future

Old 10-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Originally posted by: Radical

Radical
Looking at the pictures you provided, the craftsmanship looks great. Sounds like you thought everything out and it worked nicely for you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] You do have a very nice one of a kind trailer.
Believe it or not, yes. I had some issues with sway that gave me white knuckles at times. I wouldn't even let anybody elde drive it. I think a couple reasons for the problem were the "V" nose catching the bow waves from passing vehicles, and the passenger car rated tires on the truck (sidewall flex). It was strickly a bow wave induced problem at highway speeds. All other issues were looked at like tongue weight, etc.
The hitch eliminated the sway. It was the right solution. Now anybody can drive the rig and not even notice a difference when trucks pass! I gave $1,800.00 for it on eBay, and can sell it for what I paid if/when I want.

Radical

Quick Reply: New Enclosed trailer need ideas