Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

suzuki lt250R lt250R not wanting to idle

Old 09-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suzuki lt250R lt250R not wanting to idle

Hey guys my 250 quadracer is acting up on me. Its a 1986 and it most of the time it wont idle you gotta keep holding the hand throttle out little. I got the adjsutment up at the twist throttle almost the whole way out and the one inside of the carb the whole way in. Then sometimes it by itself you let off the gas it will idle really fast for no reasion at all. I dont really understand it. The carb hasn't been rebuilt. Do you guys think I should rebuild it? Also what kidn of oil mixtures are you guys running? I am running 50:1 does that sound about right?
thanks,
jimmy

Old 09-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that problem with my Tecate 4. I wish I could remember why it did that. I'm not sure anymore. I also run 50:1 in mine with Racing Synthetic oil. It sounds like your not getting the right fuel. If you know how to check your jetting, I would do that. One way is to check your plug by running the quad (moving) at different throttle positions and then killin the engine right where you are and checking the plug. It should be a chocolately paper bag brown. If it's black your too rich, if white or burnt, too lean.

The problem is I can't remember what throttle positions control which part of the carb. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full throttle are controlled by different parts: the needle, the main jet and the pilot jet. Maybe someone can help with that info.

Another thing may be the float but I'm not sure. But you shouldn't need to have the idle screw all the way out. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

did it run right with the same jetting before? if so, u could have an air leak. either a crankcase seal is bad or a gasket, etc. pressure test it to be sure.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Range Rover

I think it may be an air leak also, or something could have gotten into the carb, if it didn't have the problem before. Take the carb off and clean all the internal passages with carb cleaner. If that doesn't work take off the stator cover and with the engine running to spray carb cleaner behind the flywheel and listen for an RPM change. Also spray around the cylinder base gasket.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: 800screws
did it run right with the same jetting before? if so, u could have an air leak. either a crankcase seal is bad or a gasket, etc. pressure test it to be sure.
hey, are there good, hassle-free and plain FREE places to ride in Orange County Area? I'm less than an hour across the border in PA off I-84. I'd love a change of scenery sometime. I heard there's some ATV park in Middletown. true? how is it? how much?

BTW, is your quad on a stand in the photos? it looks like it's floating.

Old 09-15-2005, 06:34 AM
Pro Rider

that problem could literaly be anything,but if its reving on its own at all,or spiraticaly without you giving it throttle then that means to much air,wich means air leak wich means no idle

Old 09-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well guys I notced from riding it lately that it only starts reving like that by itself when ever its about ready to run out of fuel. Does that sound right? It kinda makes sence to me. So now I know if i let off and its starting to rev some hurry up and get soem get. I am going to put a new airfilter on it and after that im going to see how much of a difference that makes then maybe i can work on the problem from there.
thanks,
Jimmy

Old 09-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Range Rover

I've never heard of a two-stroke revving up on its own and not idleing when its running lean because it only has gas fumes to run on. That is mysterious.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

2 strokes always wind up as they're running out of fuel. It's cause they're leaning out. A 2 stroke motor will always run stronger lean, but will blow up quicker.

Old 09-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Its the damn Mikuni carberator. There really junk from the factory. Buy a new keihin carb prolly a 34mm for that bike and they come pre jeted to 32:1 and you can start the bike 2-3 kick and it will idle perfectly. Had the same problem with mine. My buddy just bought and 86 LT and his came with the stock carb. Since he doesnt know any thing about the machine. I work on it, I took that carb off and threw it in the garbage with out even lookin at it. we put on his new keihin and wala it runs and idles like a champ.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: suzuki lt250R lt250R not wanting to idle