Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

DirtWheels Article comparing the Quadzilla to Banshee

Old 08-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DirtWheels Article comparing the Quadzilla to Banshee

Has everyone seen the reprint from '87 in the latest issue of DirtWheels? For those youngsters who have only heard about the legendary Zilla, you might want to read it. Especially the drag race and suspension comparisons.

I don't have it right in front of me, but in the drag race, the wording was something like "the 500 blows the doors off the Banshee".

Keep in mind that the Banshee is still one of the fastest bikes made today. Stock for stock, it might be just marginally slower in a drag than the 450's, but it's not far off.

It's too bad a magazine couldn't do a test between one of the new 450 racers and a stock zilla in good shape. It would be nice to remind people how fast the Zilla really was, although I'm sure the 450's would rule in the handling department. I know when the DS650 was first released, one magazine actually did get someone's used zilla to use in a test. It was still the king of pure power/speed.

Not trying to start a fight here. Just excited everytime I read about a Zilla in a recent magazine which is less and less these days.

Old 08-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that issue, I love when they do the "Retro" tests, They had one a few years back testing a 250r, a 400ex, a Tecate, and a Lt250r. The Tecate mopped the floor with thier other 3 as far as pure power was concerned.

I would like to see a test including all the major players that have ever existed, it would be huge, but cool to see which one would rule in each catagory, even though we already know.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never saw that issue, but I'd love to. Those Tecate's are BAD machines. Supposedly, they didn't have the best suspension but they were incredibly fast, just behind the Banshees in top speed. I'd love to have one but they're pretty scarce and they bring top dollar these days. I test rode one once on pavement. It sure seemed to scream. I assume the 400EX took last in the speed/power department.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

Loved that article

Old 08-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: yagerzzz
Has everyone seen the reprint from '87 in the latest issue of DirtWheels? For those youngsters who have only heard about the legendary Zilla, you might want to read it.
I don't have it right in front of me, but the wording was something like "the 500 blows".
LOL
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-03-2005, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

i dont know what magazines u guys are reading, but i never saw one comparing a ds and lt500 or a tecate and lt250r against a 400ex

Old 08-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: spoRtRax450R
i dont know what magazines u guys are reading, but i never saw one comparing a ds and lt500 or a tecate and lt250r against a 400ex

Well, if you never saw it, it must not have existed.

Seriously though, I cant remember if it was Dirthwheels or 3&4 wheel action. It was about 3 or so years ago if I remember correctly.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

4 Wheel ATV Action September 2000. Three 250 2 strokes: LT 250, 250R, Tecate comparison was reprinted.

The issue with the Bomb against the Zilla used a Duncan Racing built Zilla. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Old 08-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Stock vs stock, lt 500 smokes banshee, and has better suspension. Keep in mind the stock banshee pipes are a joke. A piped and ported lt 500 vs a piped, ported banshee is a different story. The lt500 is a slow rever, with lots of low and mid power and decent top end power. The banshee is a quick reving top end power bike. The stock shee pipes kill top end power. The lt 500 is great machine tho.

Old 08-04-2005, 05:25 AM
Pro Rider

THE LT 500 is a awesome atv i never had the pleasure of watching a banshee and zilla race but im sure the zilla would lay down sum tracks on it and the yfz450 and by the way no2strokeBs that is one SWEEEEEEEET ZILLA you have[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DirtWheels Article comparing the Quadzilla to Banshee