Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

please help, my new kodiak 400 is bogging out

Old 06-15-2005, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help, my new kodiak 400 is bogging out

I just bought a 2005 kodiak 400 and it seems to be bogging out when i start on a fairly steap hill or when i get into a mud hole that i should be able to make it through but the tires dont spin it just bogs out. i have taken it back to the dealer but they said it runs really well and they cant duplicate the problem. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Range Rover

is your belt spining

Old 06-15-2005, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer

check your belt, i had a automatic polaris and water and whatnot was gettin into the belt box, use some gasket sealer to line the belt box, if that isent it, check the carb, might need cleaned or something.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

No its not the belt and i dont think the carb needs cleaning there is only 500 clicks on the machine. its like its getting to much fuel but the dealer ship says its fine.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:43 AM
Trailblazer

well.. take it and shove it up your dealers a$$ and tell him he dont ride it, and you know there is something wrong, you have to get tuff with them.. they just want money and dont wanna do work, it happens everywhere... ask for a new bike if its under warrenty and they wont fix it.. if the still wont fix, or trade (which they should do if under warrenty) then get a lawer for the lemon law, if theres something wrong, i garentee you will come away with a new bike or your money back... had a friend that had the same problem with a dealer his lawyer called them and he came ridein out with a new bike. just gotta let them know your money is no joke...

Old 06-16-2005, 03:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Heres something easy to try.
Take the air box lid off, and try the hill climb or mud, and see if it runs better. This will lean out the mixture.
Then try using the choke, and do the mud run, this will richen things up.
If either one improves the proformance, then you know that jetting is the problem.
Is it posible the cvt got swamped, and has water or silt in it?

Old 06-17-2005, 04:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

well thanks for the advice on taking the air lid off to lean it upthat sounds like it might work because i did try the choke in a mud hole but it just quit all together. I will try that this weekend. Is there a way i could jet it myself or adjust the carb to lean it up if that is the proplem or will i have to take it to the dealer.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Make sure the air filter is clean and freshly reoiled.
Completely removing the lid, is gonna make it real lean, so you may want to just prop it open at first, and see if it improves.
Is the bogging happening right off idle? has the mixture screw been adjusted?

Old 06-18-2005, 05:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

well I havent touched any thing that would be called a mixture screw and no it doesnt bogg out right off of idle it seems to idle fine and when your on flat ground and hit the trottle it just goes, but when i am in a mud hole or at a stop up a steep hill it is like it just doesnt generate power but it idles fine in the mudhole and tries to start makin power when i just give it a little bit of gas but when I go to give it anough to spin the tires it just spits and sputters then i can let off the gas and it will idle fine and move the tires slowly when there is just alittle bit of gas pushed in, I am interested in Knowing about the mixture screw If you thik it might be running to rich. Thanks

Old 06-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

well I was out on saturday and I removed the lid to my air box and wow what a difference in power, there was no bogging or anything. So it must be running rich now I cant drive around with no lid on my air box so if anyone could tell me were to locate the mixture screw or how to lean it up that would be great. thanks for all your advice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: please help, my new kodiak 400 is bogging out