Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT230S chain

Old 04-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT230S chain

My chain came off a little while ago and cracked my case. I'm fixing the case and getting the aftermarket gaurd but what causes the chain to come off. Do I need to tighten the chain, if so how do I do that. I have been told to check the swingarm bushings and the wheel bearings. What else do I need to do to keep this from happening again.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default LT230S chain

well when my chains got real loose i just took out a link but most time you can adjust the swing arm to make it tighter

Old 04-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Range Rover
Default LT230S chain

there is an adjustment on the axle carrier to adjust the chain. plus check the sprockets and the chain for wear.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:22 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LT230S chain

Reasons for chain coming loose on 230 QS. Worn sprockets, streched chain, worn swing arm pivot bearings, worn axle carrier bearings and my favorite, stick or other trail debries flying up between chain and rear sprocket and throwing the chain.

Old 04-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT230S chain

Its happened to me twice. The first time when I first got my machine it flew off and broke the case. Pissed me off. Second time was with the new case and the same thing happened. I had to get a new chain because it was so stretched out. Those cases cost $90 so I just said screw that and I got some JB weld and sealed it up that way. To tighten up the chain(If its possible), loosen up the two bolts on the back of your swingarm, and use a pipe wrench or some specially made axle carrier tightning jobber(you'll see where the holes are depending on the year), pull back on your wrench and it should tighten up the chain. You don't want it too tight, just a little bit of play. I usually have about an inch or so of play. Bolt everything back up and hopefully it works. Have fun.

Old 04-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT230S chain

230 sports are great little bikes. However, this is the biggest design flaw it has. The root of the problem is that the swingarm is very short and the angle of it is very steep. You can't tighten your chain too much or it will stretch everytime you land a jump or bottom out the suspension. Otherwise, there is no way a little bike like that should ever stretch a chain. That's also the reason the front needle bearing go out in the swingarm and why the front swingarm tube itself usually gets stretched or cracked. To properly fix the problem, we've built chain tensioners for a few of ours that completely and absolutely fixed the problem. The first thing we did was have a macine shop machine a new piece of thicker pipe that will accept factory size bearings and cap seals. After we welded it in place of the original pipe, we built very simple chain roller with a spring and attached it to the swingarm. We've done this to a quadsport and two 230E's. We now have plenty of slack on our chain for when our suspension bottoms out, and the tensioner keeps enough tension to keep it from coming off. I used to throw a chain every other time I rode my sport and I've broken my side cover at least 4 times, twice buying a new cover and twice having it professionally welded. Since building the tesioner, I haven't thrown, stretched, or even had to adjust my chain in over 6 years. It's the only way to go.

Old 04-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT230S chain

But if you have a chain that is 19 years old like mine was you might have to replace it. I couldn't tighten it anymore. I'm just telling you from my own experience. If you do have access to a shop then you can make your own tensioner like you might have heard above.

Old 12-26-2005, 02:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT230S chain

i have pics of a chain tensioner that i installed on my quadsport. works great, and i only paid 30 something dollars for it.

Old 12-26-2005, 02:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default LT230S chain

Originally posted by: cyanidetrece
i have pics of a chain tensioner that i installed on my quadsport. works great, and i only paid 30 something dollars for it.
SWEET idea!!!!! I just locked up my wifes QS so while I am in there I might rig up something like that!!!!!! I already trashed the factory shifter stuff and made a shifter linkage out of aircraft control tie rod ends.

Old 12-26-2005, 03:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT230S chain

the shifter linkage upgrade is on my list of things to do along with getting a case saver. i'll just be ordering the linkage kit and case saver from vince's cycle. i tried to install the chain tensioner from the rear foot peg bolt but it did not put the chain tensioner back far enough. when i loaded the suspension down it hit the frame. it still hits the frame only slightly but it's only if the suspension goes low enough. i don't think i would be a problem with me since im a light weight, 120lbs. if your wifes 'sport has nerf bars it will make it easier. if not, just make a bracket that bolts to both peg bolts and extends further back and install the tensioner to that and you'll be okay. that reminds me, if i can kick start this thing anybody can. if you are having trouble kicking it, adjust you cam chain tension, run your overhead(sorry, diesel talk, adjust valves), kit and adjust your carb. oh and make sure your comp release works.

so ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash, how long have you been in the rattle engine repair business? nice tripod you have, i have an '83 honda atc 250r in the works.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT230S chain