Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ramp load capacity

Old 03-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ramp load capacity

hey,

I've been using two 8' 2x12's as a loading ramp for my ATV. Never had a problem but someone just told me that they wouldn't hold the weight and I should switch to aluminum ramps.

between me and the grizzly I'm loading close to 900 lbs.

What is the load capacity of a 8' 2x12?

thanks.

Old 03-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to tell you the capacity of a 2 x 12 but I do have a suggestion. Nail a couple of smaller boards on the bottom side of each ramp. Maybe a couple of 6' 2 x 6 peices. If the 2 x 12 were working ok by themselves, this should make them more than strong enough.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Just make sure that your nails don't go all the way through the boards.

Another suggestion: Someone makes aluminum pieces for the ends of your boards. These pieces will keep the boards from slipping off your tail gate.

Old 03-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Madwolverine
Nail a couple of smaller boards on the bottom side of each ramp.
Another suggestion: Someone makes aluminum pieces for the ends of your boards. These pieces will keep the boards from slipping off your tail gate.
Better suggestion: use screws. They Don't back out under flex like nails.

The aluminum ramp ends can be bought from JC Whitney, but they are for 2x6's. I fasten the two of mine together with metal straps when loading motorcycles. Its easily reversable for quads.

Old 03-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the 2x12's with the aluminum ramp ends. I got my ramp ends at ACE hardware and they work great. The longer the 2x12 the more it will bend. Instead of screwing a another piece of wood to the bottom and making them thicker get some aluminim angle from the hardware store and screw it to the sides. one pice on each ramp might be enough, even if you only do a 4' length in the center. The aluminum will probably weigh less than another piece of wood.

Old 03-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Range Rover

i agree with throwing some angled aluminum or steel to support the board, run something that will stop the board from snapping in the middle....

Old 03-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

Just don't ride it up....Use your warn winch to pull the bike up the ramps and it'll double like a tiedown.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Range Rover

Lol, don't worry about heavy....

The ramps I have are out of our old corn crib, they are boards about 9'x3'x12'. Needless to say they are heavy, atleast they won't break....I took some 1/8' plate and put like a 30 degree bend in it for my ramp ends and bolted that through the boards.

You said you were using 2x12's, I would think that would be plenty, especially if they're only 8 feet long. I had a friend in highschool that used 2x6's lol. (eventually after probably 30 loads they snapped and he ended up with a new tailgate) But even they held up until his 425 Magnum slid of the ramps and dropped onto only one 2x6.

Anyway, all I know is that aluminum ramps are nice, but for what they charge it isn't worth it at all if you have enough sense to make a decent set for yourself. I would surely think 2x12x8' would be fine, unless you slip a wheel off the ramp like my friend did. Especially if you braced them up like the other guys suggest.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer

I have 2"x8"x8' PT boards with the ramp ends I bought at home depot. that with the boards only cost me @ $40. I have been wondering the same thing, are they strong enuf? I have only used them a few times but they make me nervous. Is the angle aluminum they way to go? Thanks.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

I have done this , just run a 2x4 down the underside of each ramp edgewise and screw it from the top side, It will hold twice the weight and cost nothing compared to alum. ramps. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2005, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

I was leary of using boards so did some checking and found a Aluminum tri-fold ramp with tie downs for $95 bucks (Sam's Club)so went with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ramp load capacity