Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

kickstart problems help????

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kickstart problems help????

On my sons kickstart wont come back up when you kickstart it. Does anyone know why or how to fix this??
Thanks

Old 01-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

This is a very common problem.The gears on the kickstart assembly recieve very little if any lubrication from the factory and once they get a little dirty the spring will not return the kick start.You will have to remove the transmission cover and clean the gears.Put just a touch on grease on the gears as you don't want the grease to get on the belt or in the clutch assemblies.Also when removing the cover do not remove small nut on a stud near the front half of the cover.The cover will come off by just removing all the phillip head screws around the outside of the cover and one in the center of the cover.The small nut that I spoke about helps hold the kickstart assembly and spring in place in the cover and the spring is difficult to replace once its out.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:11 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeller said it well, just want to stress when removing the cover DO NOT REMOVE THE KICKSTART ITSELF! The whole thing comes off.

I learn things the hard way and it was a b!tch to put back together. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
Yeller said it well, just want to stress when removing the cover DO NOT REMOVE THE KICKSTART ITSELF! The whole thing comes off.

I learn things the hard way and it was a b!tch to put back together. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
I learned the hard way as well.I even removed the snap ring around the splined kickstart shaft as I thought it stayed there and the cover came off over top of it.I spent quite a while trying to get that assembly all back together and could have kicked myself when I got the cover off and saw that I didn't need to remove the snapring or the nut holding the kickstart in place
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

I forgot I had a picture of the side cover in my pics section.Take a look and you can see the nut I am talking about (the one not to remove) just behind the kickstart lever.You can also see the gears,as I have removed the dust filter.You can remove the filter and try the kickstart and see how the gears work before you tear into it.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

Guys thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.