Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

98 Scrambler 500 wont start,please help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Scrambler 500 wont start,please help!!!!!!!

I recently purchased a used 98 500 Scrambler that was supposed to just have carb. problems. I bought my new carb parts,reassembled the carb,installed it,and turned on the gas.In much anticipation i hit the start button(after turning on the key) and it wont start!I checked for fire at the plug,it only sends 1 spark when i hit start,and occasionally one spark when i let off of start.I talked to a local repair shop,they said it had to be the cdi box,so i bought one from them,(at what i later found out was a really high price)installed it, and it still does the exact same thing.My two kids were very dissapointed on Christmas morning when i didnt have it running.I cant afford to keep buying parts i dont need!!!!! Ignition Coil?Stator and pulse coil? Bad Ground? ????? ?????? Can anyone in here offer any suggestions on how to trace down the problem????

Old 12-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try a new plug?If so disconect the black wire at the CDI module.If you get spark you have trouble in the ignition whitch,kill switch or rev limiter.Check these for ground problems. You could just have the throttle out of adjustment causing the ETC to act up. Oh yea welcome to the forum hope we can help you out.

Old 12-30-2004, 03:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help with my bike ftwflh!!!!!!!!!! In the process of unplugging that black wire,i found two wires that had been crossed,put them back like they were supposed to be,and now i have fire!!!!! The bike still has some bugs to work out though, i got it to crank and idle maybe 5 seconds but as soon as i give it any throttle it starts popping or backfiring rapidly,(and very loud) through the carb.,dies,and doesnt want to crank back.Itried choking it halfway and it will eventually start and do the same thing.Although it will start by half choking it, it will only idle for a few seconds,and die,but it doesnt backfire unless i throttle it.I havent checked the gap on the new spark plug,guess i got too excited just to see the bike getting fire after working on it and reading the repair manual for 3 long days!!!! could this problem be in the wiring and/or ignition, or does it sound more like a carb. problem? p.s. I replaced the main jet and needle,the jet block,and the pilot jet,but havent made any adjustments on the pilot/mixture screw. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.thanks!

Old 12-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is begining to sound like a bad cam.Take the valve cover off and adjust the valves to .006 then turn the motor over with the rope slowly and see if the lobes are wore down or scared.