Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

How many cc's

Old 12-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many cc's

I want to know how many cc's you guys think are perfect for an atv. Also how much is too much?

I drive a slightly modified 350 4x4 and it goes good enough for me to be able to keep up with or go anywhere that anyone else goes. I think it is natural for us to want something bigger, faster, and just plain better than the next guy, but I also think that 700+ cc's is kinda excessive. Even if I bought a new one I doubt I would go bigger than 500cc.

Ryan

Old 12-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many cc's

Well in racing the goal is to be faster so the only limit to displacement is what class you are in. Otherwise the bigger the better.

For utes and trail machines 400-500cc machines are all mere mortals ever need. My 329cc honda rancher did almost everything on the trail I wanted it to, just had a problem with some steeper and longer hills. Most of the people riding yfz 450's really would have gotten by just fine on a 400ex but some people just like to buy bigger and better than they really need and sometimes want.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Range Rover
Default How many cc's

You can always put in a big bore kit. Four stroke tech has allot of differant mods for the wolverine. Its cheaper than a new quad.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2004, 09:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default How many cc's

I've owned a few different quads and for the most part a 350 is a great powerplant. I had that in my wolverine. My only dislikes at the time, was that I couldn't shift it into 2wd. The other being the topspeed. I rode with all guys who owned 400ex's, warriors (I know its the same engine) and banshees. They crush me on the straight aways. So i decided to dump the 4x4 and get a 400ex. Loved it, it was a wheelie machine and pretty good in the trails, but I was cramped at 6'2". So naturally I jumped to the bigger bore and got a Raptor 660. More than enough engine. But in hindsight if I could have had the 400ex's motor in the wolverine with selectable 2wd/4wd I would say thats the perfect cc. Now I'm on the hunt for another quad after a 4 year hiatus and will definatly go back to the utilities. But I'll jum right to the big bore...no reason..just will When the Kodiak would probably be more than enough.

Koko

Old 12-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default How many cc's

You can't use a hammer to paint a fence.

Different jobs = different quads.

Look back to a time when a 110cc was considered a medium sized quad. There were probably people asking: Why does anyone need a 350cc quad? Doesn't a 350 seem too big considering the 110's do just fine?

Then out came the 400/450's. Then 500's. Then 650's. Then 700's and now 800. Just think how small the 800's will seem after the 1200cc's come out. Making quads larger keeps people looking forward and wanting more. People want the newest and biggest things. Soon they'll be putting on things like a roof, doors and lol... heat on the quads. Soon someone will re-invent the jeep all over again.

But people do use the quads for different things. In some areas, a 500 race quad goes over the sand much better than a 350 Rancher would. Other areas, a big ole King Quad makes a straight line through some mud better than a 350 Rancher would. There are actually places where a Recon goes much better than the larger quads. Winding through tight spots, hopping over trees and driving under gates. The quadzilla is great at top speed straight line racing. Try going faster than a Quadzilla on a Rancher or Recon. Different tools for different jobs.

Old 12-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Range Rover
Default How many cc's

Its alllllll about marketings boyz !!!.. None of NEED a 500++cc atv, but the marketors have got us thinking that we WANT one. We all that once we start 'wanting' something bad enough we can all justify in our minds, rightly or wrongly, that we NEED it for some reason LOL. marketting 101

Old 12-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default How many cc's

Just like I Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedd a new King Quad.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default How many cc's

It depends on what you want to do with your ATV. If you want a go fast 4x4 there is no replacement for displacement [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. If all you want to do is have a nice enjoyable ride, and are happy taking your time and seeing the sights, then by all means get a mid-sized 4x4. They handle better at slow speeds, are more reliable, and can go pretty much any place the big bores can. If I want a nice peacefull enjoyable ride, I will ride my wife's Kodiak 450. Only problem with that though, is that I don't frequently want a nice peacefull enjoyable ride, so I ride my own ATV instead, LOL.

OL

Old 12-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default How many cc's

500 is perfect.. now 700 and 800 is overkill, all they are there for is to compete against other companies.

Old 12-13-2004, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default How many cc's

Originally posted by: Grimmsniper
You can always put in a big bore kit. Four stroke tech has allot of differant mods for the wolverine. Its cheaper than a new quad.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Grimsniper,

I see you have some stuff from four stroke tech, how much $ did that run ya and was it worth it for overall power?

How big is their big bore kit?

Search this Thread