Farmers/mechanics/engineers.....(CAD drawing)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 09:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Farmers/mechanics/engineers.....(CAD drawing)

Hey guys.......I have a farmer/mechanic type of question for you. I am doing a CAD(mechanical desktop) drawing of a piston and rod assembly(Piston,rod,bearings, wristpin, rings, bolts, etc....) I am almost done with this process, but I need to put it on paper.........Once we put it on paper, we have to make a parts list, and what is included on the parts list is the composition of materials.......This means what are these materials(all that I listed above) composed of......I don't know where to find this, or even have the slightest clue......

I don't know if there is specifics to they type of metal out there or not(like there is aluminum).......I'm thinking the piston is aluminum and the rod is cast iron......don't know the rest.....I have no clue what type of cast iron(if there is different types)...or what type of aluminum either.......

This is a piston/rod assembly from a Farmall "M" by the way. I actually think anything will work wether it is John Deere or International.....it probably should be an older model though.

Don't worry guys, I'm just drawing this........still JD at heart. The M does make a good auger tractor though.....

Thanks for the help.......I don't know if you can understand what I need or not. Any thing will help.

Brad

Old 10-27-2004, 12:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Most of the pistons are made out of aluminum alloy. Some pistons are also coated with tin or moly graphite to reduce scuffing. Some pistons also have a steel strut insert to control piston expansion. A standard cast-aluminum piston contains 9%-12% silicon and is called a eutectic piston. To add strength, the silicon content is increased to about 16% and is called a hypereutectic piston. These pistons are also about 25" lighter than standard pistons. Forged pistons are more dense and stronger than standard pistions. These are used in high performance engines. Often in supercharged or turbocharged engines. They generally run about 20% cooler than standard pistons. The piston pins are alloy steel and are case hardened and sometimes chromium plated to increase their wearing qualities. Piston rings can be made from cast iron, pearlitic, nodular iron, steel, or ductile iron. They also can have a variety of coatings, such as chromium or molybdenum on cast iron rings, or moly-chrome-carbide commonly used on OEM equiptment. Ceramic-coated rings are also commonly used on heavy duty, turbo, or supercharged engines where extra heat resistence is needed. The oil rings commonly use a stainless steel spacer-expander. The rods are manufactured in cast iron, forged steel or aluminum (racing applications), or powdered (sintered) metal process. The powdered metal rods are being used on newer engines like the Northstar and new HEMI. The powdered rods are made by taking powdered iron, copper, carbon, and other alloying agents and placing them in a die and compacting (forging) then uder 30-50 tons of pressure. Then it goes through the sinitered process where it is heated at 2000*F. During this process, the ingredients are transformed into metallurgical bonds, giving it its strength. The rod cap is then fractured to give it a precise fit. Hope this can help you some

Old 10-27-2004, 12:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks BBS...........that helps a lot...........

Old 10-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you do a lot of CAD work, that is the field I am in.

Old 10-27-2004, 10:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

yep......I have been drawing on cad for about the last month for about 10 or more hrs per day. I am also going to take the other two modelers that they offer too.......I think they are solidedge(?) and ProE. I really want to learn ProE.

Old 10-27-2004, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ive been using cad for about six years now. I took a class last semester at college on pro-e and thought it was pretty easy. Its amazing what all you can do on that program.

Old 10-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Really..........I enjoy it(its not that tough, if you can get in a mind set and think about shapes and stuff)..........is there jobs out there for people who just know how to model, or do you have to be an engineer?? And if so, what is the pay like??

I really don't understand why we are getting tought cad though, I thought it was on its way out(a few yrs ago) and the ProE is on its way in........

Old 10-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

well my major in college is drafting and design technology. you wouldnt believe how many jobs are out there for you to do even if you only have alittle experience. go to careerbuilder.com and just seach for the basic design jobs and you'll find plenty, and find out the pay. i found one on there the other day that started out making 60,000 with little to no experience required and room to advance. i work for mohawk carpet ind. in the engineering department right now and let me tell ya i wish i was making what all these other guys here are making. but they also have ba's in engineering. the only program we run here is autocad 2000 and it does everything we need it to do. i think pro-e is used for the more advanced 3d drawings but im not sure.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am on my 5th year in CAD, 2 of high school, 2 in college, and one just for work. There is many jobs out there just for "drafters". I have had 3 jobs in this field since my junior year in high school, and I have learned every company is somewhat different. All you need to know is basic standards, how to use CAD well, and have some talent in design and visualization. You learn the rest through working, depending on what your company does.

For example, I work for a clean room company that designs and builds clean rooms of all kinds. Coming in I had know idea of what clean rooms did or how they work, but now I know a good bit and can do most of the plans on my own, besides for the calculations which the engineer does. Plus this is the 1st job that I get to do mechanical, architectural, electrical, and structural drawings.

I have dug plenty of ditches in my young career, and still do on the side, but I relize I don't want to be 40 years old sweating in the summer, and freezing in the winter every day. The only bad thing is I am suck inside a lot, but that makes me enjoy my free time more like riding! And the pay is good for my age and I have full benefits.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Cool guys.....currently I am one of those engineers(3rd year mechanical engineer in college), but if something ever went wrong, it would be nice to know I have something to rely on.

Quick Reply: Farmers/mechanics/engineers.....(CAD drawing)