Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Tires for my WOLVERINE ?????

Old 09-30-2004, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for my WOLVERINE ?????

Hey all. Im in a big dillema here. my stock tires are wearing out/worn out on my wolverine. Now for the stock rim size they offere a lot of 25 inch heavy duity tires but I dont think i want to move up to 25 inch tires. because that will affect my power and i have less bottom end since installing my White brothers cam. I dont really mudbog it heavily anymore. I use it in 2x4 the majority of the time. since i cut holes in the airbox my deep deep river riding days are over and I dont really have a deep river anymore even if I wanted to. But anyways, after the rest of the work ive put into that and my zilla, both of them are perfectly ready to go accept tires. I dont have money for rims and tires for the wolverine so I was wondering what tires are available in 23 or smaller preferably, i guess i could go with 24s if there arent any decent smaller ones. What i'd really like to do is get new rims and throw on some holeshots or fast trekkers but i cant and when looking through catilogs I havent been too successful finding good tires that size at a different price. I definatly dont want to buy the dunlops again for the rears. Im looking for a flatter tread design on the rear tires. Oh yea, while i'm at it, is it true that on rim/tire width you can be half an inch off and they still fit cause somebody told me that but i was scepticle to belive him. Thanks for your help. I think after tires wheel spacers are my next investment

Old 09-30-2004, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For stock 23", there are very few 12" tires out there, Titan 489 is a good OEM replacement, decent tread, and light,since it is a 2 or 3 ply tire. There is also the 489xt, a 6 ply, more aggressive, but heavy. The local Walmart near me even carries the 489 !!! Maxxis tires tend to run short, my 25" Surtracs are only about 24", but they are a lot wider than stock, the Alltracs have a nice trail tread, a lot of woods racers run them. It's too bad a lot of tire makers never did jump on the Wolverine stock tires, with so many out there, they could have sold a lot, I looked all over before buying mine, but with the mods I have, it turns them easy as the stockers, so I'm happy, and I needed the extra traction for getting around in the slough and muddy fields when I'm doing work, or hitting a washed out trail.

Old 09-30-2004, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

hmm ill have to check those out, thanks. do you have any pics of your wolvy?

Old 09-30-2004, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

forgot to ask, what do you think of the bear claws. the tread pattern looks similar anybody know about the weight on them??? it really isnt the size that im worried about its the weight and the power loss. I know i will be able to spin them but i dont want it to slug down my acceleration

Old 09-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

I got some pics of my Wolverine when my son and I went trail riding in Wisconsin, PM me your email address, and I'll send you some, I really should start a photo gallery !!!

Old 09-30-2004, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

I think the 489's look pretty cool. Staying with the stock size is a good thing considering the wolverine's gearing.

Hey 95:

Does your bike outrun your son's? What about the works shocks? Are they worth it?

Old 09-30-2004, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

why dont you guys just run 22in razors on it like im going to?

Old 09-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Madwolverine

On the long straight aways, my son can't keep up at all !!! in a tight twisty area, he can stay on my tail or pass me because of his tighter turning and being able to pop the clutch and shoot out of the corners. I went with the Works shocks because I had worn mine out, and they were bottoming a lot on rough whoops and big jumps. I have only bottomed the Works shocks once, and that was in a motocross race ( ya, I'm crazy ) off a huge air jump I shouln't have done anyway. I have seen the Steelers with rezzies on ebay fairly reasonable, and they do make a big difference if you ride hard and jump. And spend the extra 20 bucks per shock and get the threaded adjusting type, other wise you need to take the shock off and use a spring compressor to change the preload on the shocks.

Old 09-30-2004, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

well goodyear has a tire that is called run flat technology where u can run 50 miles on a flat tire its good on trails or ITP MUDLITES baby!

Old 10-01-2004, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

speed demon... they make 22 inch razors that fit on stock wolverine rims???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires for my WOLVERINE ?????