Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Puncture in side wall

Old 09-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puncture in side wall

I have a small slit in the side wall of my Wolverine tire, do you think I'll have success plugging it? I know plugs work well, but I have only plugged a tire when the puncture is on the contact edge of the tire.

I figure with the low PSI of quad tires there shouldn't be too much stress on the side wall. Anyone with experience let me know.

Old 09-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am put plugs in side wall hand haven't had any problems. You can try patching it or throwing a tube in it

Old 09-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Plug probably will not work. If your real cheap and don't want to put any money in your quad, you could plug it AND put a tube in it.....then hope the tube lasts.

I did this on the second ride of my Raptor....had to buy a new tire.....Price of fun sometimes gets expensive.

Sorry.

Old 09-04-2004, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

i dont know how bad this sounds, but listen up. one time my friend and i went riding all day, every time we went out, he would get a flat on his raptor. we plugged the small holes, but them he got a huge sidewall slit, i swear it was 2 inches, maybe a little under. but u could stick ur fingers in there easy. we took a rope(haha) and folded it over and over, and put tons of rubber cement, and shoved that bad boy in the slit, and dryed it will compressed air, and it held together so great, however at high speeds it wobbled. but for a little utility quad, it would work just fine, key is lots of rubber cement.

Old 09-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Range Rover

patch and a tube will work.

Old 09-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

sure sure, do it the professional way. haha, one reason we used rope of all things(we tried a shoelace too) we had absoluetely nothing else, but we needed to ride.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

A patch and a tube would work great....only problem is you have to do it yourself (at least around here) and unless you can take the tire off the rim yourself - your screwed. I took mine to two different shops and asked them to patch it and tube it for me, they wouldn't do it, saying the tire was no good with a sidewall puncture and they were not willing to risk liability. But they where willing to sell me another tire!? Good luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-05-2004, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

I have always had good luck plugging sidewalls.
Just put rubber cement all over the plug before putting it in.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: OhHell
I have always had good luck plugging sidewalls.
Just put rubber cement all over the plug before putting it in.
Yeah, the slit is very small, maybe 1/4 inch long so I think I'm going to give the plug a shot.

Old 09-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

A cut that size shouldnt be a big deal to plug. A patch will require the tire to come off the rim... which can be alot of work. Id put a plug in there, with alot of rubber cement, and then add Slime to that tire. Should be good as new.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Puncture in side wall