Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500, 4wd fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 500, 4wd fix

Hey guys,
I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I have a 97 or 98 sportsman 500. I just bought it from a friend so i'm not sure. It only has 1100 miles on it, and the 4wd isn't working properly on one of the front wheels. I checked the wires and they had 12 volts down by the hub when engaged in 4wd. I took it all apart and discovered that the little plate with the three little prongs on it was bent a little bit. I replaced it and that didn't solve the problem. The dealer told me that it must be the magnet not working properly. So, I went and bought one with the thin metal sleeve that goes over it for the seal to ride on. I installed it and still, the 4wd doesn't work on that wheel. What are my options? I've already spent $120.00 on parts that I obviously didn't need.
One question that I have is how tight does the nut have to be? Should there be any play in it for the 4wd to work? I have tightened down to where there is just a little bit of load on the bearing and that's it. Everything is installed exactly like I took it apart. None of the parts inside seem to have any damage, so I'm stumped. Does anybody have any ideas?
Thanks for all of your help,
Clint

Old 08-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

is the spline or key still in good shape to the axle, and make sure that the ground is proper for the hub coil, the ground is switched on and off with the shifter position. u may have 12 volts going to the hub but have u a ground path. lastly, if u rplaced the hub coil, did u use the tool for it , cause there is a air gap for the poles on the coil. good luck boss

Old 08-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Range Rover

RMK,
The splines are perfect. I don't know what the key is. The nut that rides on the spline is fine as well. The ground is working fine for the other wheel, so I can't see it being the problem. No, I didn't know that there was a tool for the coil. I put some blue silicone behind it and took my time installing it. I did't put it all the way back against the hub. I then installed the thin steel ring over it with silicone on top of the coil. Did I mount it wrong? the silicone is still wet, so I think that I could take it off without damaging anything.
Thanks,
Clint

Old 08-26-2004, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

if u look at the coil from the side u will see 2 rings right. the outer ring is to be {i think } about 6 thou further inset than the iner. best way to see if it is working is to take the hub apart and get it disasembled to the coil again. stick that 3 prong washer against the coil and turn on the awd switch. with it on u should feel a noticable resistance to drag it off the coil. if so the coil and disk are fine, it may be in the hilliard itself. inspect all the rollers.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Range Rover

RMK,
The magnet works, I tried what you said. Sure wish that I would have known that test before I replaced the coil, oh well. I took the rollers apart, and they don't slide up and down through the groves on the cage very well. Some are pretty loose and slide up or down with almost no resistance, and some are pretty tight. The spring seems ok. Should the rollers move freely in the cage?Thanks,
Clint

Old 08-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

yes the rollers need to move freely. now try this. put the washer and the hilliard on the axle. start the bike, have all wheels off the ground, and drive wheels foreward, is the axle turning ok. if so, hold the axle in place with screwdriver and enguage the awd swithch, it should stop the carrier and the rollers should pulse up and down. try that see what happens if that is ok, the hex lock on the inner hilliard could be worn out

Old 08-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Range Rover

RMK,
The rollers now move freely. I filed a little bit off of each "ear" on the carrier. I'm not sure I understand what you do with a screwdriver. I started the bike, put in forward gear, and hit the awd button. IT doesn't hold the 3 pronged washer tight enough against the hub to stop the carrier from spinning. It all keeps spining in 4wd. Does the liquid help things in terms of magnetism in there or is it just for lubrication for the bearings? I'm going to start beating my head against the wall soon. Thanks for all of your help so far.
Clint

Old 08-28-2004, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

clint did u check the pole gap on the coil that u installed. u may have magnetism there but if the poles are not correct it will not be strong enough. the oil helps a bit, but not enough to fail completely.