Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Oil Change

Old 08-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Oil Change

I'm thinking about changing my own oil on my Rubicon but it seems like the engineers have not made it real "user" friendly. Does anyone have any tips on making this job easier?

Old 08-12-2004, 04:55 PM
TIC
Pro Rider

Well I know removing the bash plate is a bit of a pain to get to the filter, but it is only 4 bolts. max time added 5 minutes if that. Im not being mean,,, I CUSSED it also the first few times. And the one secrect I found that made life much much better was to have a small floor jack handy. Cause when your done and your putting the bash plate back on it is very difficult to get all 4 holes to line up. so I use the floor jack under the bash plate and give it afew pumps to hold it hard against the frame and that helps hold it in place while alligning the 4 holes. I hope that helped.

Ive also kicked around the idea of using the dremel and cutting a hole out so i would not have to remove it, but as you see the bash plate would hold the filter in if it was to ever vibrate out. kinda smart idea actually.

Oh and if you accidently over fill, (which you will) a turkey baster is the best thing to suck out a little oil at a time to get it to the proper level.

2 drain plugs

Old 08-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

the toughest part is shelling all the dough for the oil!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

Use a soft drink bottle (the small one) as a funnel to pour in the new oil. Also, pour in some oil then let it idle for a few seconds, then pour in the rest.

Old 08-13-2004, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have they following ready; 5 qts oil. 1 oil filter, both o-rings, two drain plug gaskets (aluminum), 12" long 2x4, a hammer, and a torque wrench (for the drain plugs until you get the feel of the "squish".

Use the 2x4 to flatten out you skid plate. When you re-install your skid plates, finger tighten the two center bolts first. If you need to, use water pump (channel-locks) to hold the ends up to the frame while installing the other bolts.

Old 08-13-2004, 10:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Specta
You should have they following ready; 5 qts oil. 1 oil filter, both o-rings, two drain plug gaskets (aluminum), 12" long 2x4, a hammer, and a torque wrench (for the drain plugs until you get the feel of the "squish".

Use the 2x4 to flatten out you skid plate. When you re-install your skid plates, finger tighten the two center bolts first. If you need to, use water pump (channel-locks) to hold the ends up to the frame while installing the other bolts.
Sounds great. Do you usually put it up on ramps, or change it level on the floor?

Old 08-16-2004, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the late reply, been riding.

Sometimes flat on the floor, sometimes jack-stands on one end and a floor jack on the other. In the air is easier.

I know there are 1 million opinions on what oil and filters to use, but we use Valvoline ATV Oil, 10w40, and Honda oil filters. I change the oil, filter, both o-rings, and both aluminum drain plug gaskets every 500 miles and do the 1200 mile services every 1000 miles.

Just turned 5765 miles this weekend, and it still runs like a million bucks!

Old 11-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer

best advice to changing your filter, buy a new skid plate with removable covers to get to it. they protect much better and no headachs tring ton put the plat back on the bike

Old 11-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: bgblk502
best advice to changing your filter, buy a new skid plate with removable covers to get to it. they protect much better and no headachs tring ton put the plat back on the bike

That sounds like a great idea! Do you have a link or at tleast a name of a source? Thanks!

Old 11-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Trailblazer

go to atvoutfitters.net I got the ricochet set it comes with bash plate full skid plate rear diff plate and arm plates. cost about $280. Well worth the $ these plates make the bottom of your atv smooth, nothing to hang you up on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rubicon Oil Change