Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Fix-a-Flat for ATV tires?

Old 01-14-2001, 08:14 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this stuff any good for repairing a flat atv tire? My friend carries a can on his ATV and says anytime he gets a small punction, he injects this stuff thru the valve stem and presto, no further repair necessary.

Old 01-14-2001, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I carry a can of it all the time,it does seal up small leaks if you cannot find a hole while on the trail,I have seen it seal up a good size hole, for under two bucks you cannot go wrong. I also carry the plug kit from cabelas, which has the small air cylinders, and I keep
a small compressor onboard, don't want a flat tire to ruin my day.

Old 01-14-2001, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

The stuff works wonders in the middle of nowhere.Check this out.I went on a pokerrun with a bunch of people in Newton Falls,NY two years ago.My buddy blew his rear holeshot off the rim in a particularly rocky muddy section miles in the woods from any road(didn't look good for the 98' Banshee)We tipped the machine on its side against a tree,cleaned the mud off the bead and rim with a bottle of Fruitopia fruit drink(hehe),wrapped a tiedown around the center of the tire to push the tire close to the rim and used a can of fix-a-flat to set the bead and it lasted the 4 hour remainder of that grueling journey.Believe it or not.

88' 250R many extras,including fix a flat for the long hauls

Old 01-14-2001, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fix-a-flat works great but it is water based and in the weather that we have now it will freeze causing you to have a ice cube inside you tire. After a little bit of riding it will become liquid I think. Also, if you have stell rims it will rust the inside of the rim. Not enough to cause the wheel to come apart, but it will look ugly. The slime, PDC, and othe fat proof products will not do this, but they will not air the tire back up like fix-a-falt will. Good with the bad. It does work. If you are going for a long ride carry a can in your stuff just incase.

Old 01-14-2001, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

I use slime and it works great!

Old 01-14-2001, 08:27 PM
Range Rover

hello all i have a frined that told me that stuff is crap and doesn t work good at all iv never used it tho so i couldn t say
86 4trx250r

Old 01-14-2001, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't use Fix-A Flat. I used it in one of my truck tires and months later when I went to have new tires put on they could not get the tire off the rim. They tried everything to break the tire loose even a tire sledge. They finally bent the rim and had to get me a new rim. The guy asked if I had used Fix-A-Flat and said they had problems like that when people use that stuff. I would use Slime or other products like that but not the aerosol flat repair.

Old 01-15-2001, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

I'd avoid it unless absolutely necessary. Fix-A-Flat will corrode your steel rims inside the tire over time, and it isn't meant as a lasting fix. I use Slime and it does a great job. For inflating, all you need is a small bicycle tire pump. I carry a cO2 inflator, and it does a good job. Doesn't take up much room either.

Old 01-15-2001, 05:11 PM
Range Rover

We always take a can on our excursions.

Old 01-15-2001, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

I had a sidewall puncture and I thought I was screwed. I used Slime and worked fine as long as the tire was laying on its side. I put it back on the machine and it started pissing air again. It says right on the can "Not for sidewall punctures." Then I tried something I never thought would work. I plugged it with a commercially available tire plug... also not for sidewall punctures. Granted it was not a big gash but to my surprise it has worked great; hasn't leaked since. I think it was a combination of the two methods that finally plugged it up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fix-a-Flat for ATV tires?