Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Rincon Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rincon Oil Change

When changing the oil, do you check the level when the engine is warm or cold?

Old 02-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Either one. As long as the engine is off and has been sitting for awhile to let the oil settle back into the sump. Also make sure the bike is on a level surface when checking oil.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO!! the Rincon is a dry sump with the sump in the cases. There is a specific and important procedure for oil checking. It's in your owner's manual. Follow it to the letter!! Oil level is important on this model.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

If yours isn't handy. You must allow the machine to idle on level ground without revving it up for about 5 minutes. Shut it off and do your check about three minutes after. Don't screw the dipstick in to check, just push it in as far as it will go.

Old 02-17-2004, 10:14 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Yellow650Rincon
Either one. As long as the engine is off and has been sitting for awhile to let the oil settle back into the sump. Also make sure the bike is on a level surface when checking oil.
Sheesh ! ! !

Maybe you should read your owners manual ! ! !

Dzzy is right, there is a very important procedure that he's outlined pretty well. Makes a HUGE difference in the read on the dipstick ! ! !

Old 05-25-2004, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Even though you are right the owners manual sometimes isn't. I did my first oil change today on my rincon and followed the book exactly. I filled with 3.0 qt of oil and ran for 5 min then let sit for 5 more. Checked the oil without screwing in the dipstick and it did not even register a drop. Ran again and actually drove to the end of the block and back, let sit, still nothing. Called my dealer and asked if they had encounterd this, he asked how long i let the oil drain, well i let it drain a couple hours. He then told me if you let it drain that long it will drain out of the tranny (which i thought it would do anyway). Then he went on to tell me one guy brought his in because the tranny was slipping, the reason was that he went by the manual and put in the printed 3.0 qt. My dealer then told me he has seen them take up to 5 qt. Anyway when mine was all said and done it took 3.75 qt. So in my opinion the manual should be taken seriously but be ready to make some amendments.

Old 05-26-2004, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider

You must have been talking to one of the sales guys at your dealer, if it was the mechanic, find a new one. Whoever it was, they don't know what they're talking about. Anyway, I don't have an owner's manual here, but on these dry sump Honda engines, it's the procedure that's important. I never measure how much oil I put in, I just use the dipstick. TRUST your dipstick. There's no way any Rincon will hold 5 qts without being overfilled. The Rubicon actually holds about 6 though. I typically end up adding about 5.5 qts when I change on one of those.