Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Timing gear on the crank... WTF? how do you orient it?

Old 05-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior Timing gear on the crank... WTF? how do you orient it?

What gives? There's a dot on the gear, but when you press it onto the crank, how the hell do you orient it correctly? There's no freaking keyway, no corresponding marks on the crank I can see... I'm helping a friend get his ride back together and asking this question for him.

Does the gear just go on any which way, and then the adjustment is made at the cam??

Old 05-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

if you could explain diffrent i could probaly help..... are you talking about the cam chain and sprocket

Old 05-17-2004, 06:10 PM
Range Rover

The Warrior has a nipple at the top of the cam sprocket area, line the dot on the sprocket with the nipple, if this is what you are talking about. Also take the little inspection screw out of the stator housing and line the mark T with the line on the block then line the sprocket dot up with the nipple, this will time the valves correctly.

Old 05-18-2004, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help on this, guys...

The timing gear on the crank presses on... but there is no keyway for alignment, just a dot on the gear.

I am talking about the timing chain, but not the top end (cam), but the bottom (crank).

Thanks for that last reply... I think I know what you're talking about, but I don't have the parts in front of me, like I said, I'm helping my friend, it's not mine.

Old 05-18-2004, 03:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 1990 warrior that I can't get the cam sprocket to time right. It is either 1/2 tooth fast or 1/2 tooth slow. Which way should I time it? The owner before I got it modified it so I don't what has been done to it? Possibile shaved head ? I can't use the pull start because the compression is too much, starter has a hard time but it does start it. Thanks for the help!

Old 05-18-2004, 08:11 PM
Range Rover

Ak when putting the lower cam gear on the crank, the little dot (timing mark) must be lined (centered) with the woodruff keyway and pressed on the crank. The woodruff keyway is for holding on the starter gear not the cam gear, the cam gear is just pressed on the crank, but center the timing mark on the gear with the woodruff way, this will time it right.

Old 05-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Range Rover

Oldmanwarrior mabe the cam chain is just stretched, given the age of the bike, and I'm assuming the bike was ridden hard considering it was modified. Check to see if the chain tensioner is at full adjstment, or check the chain guides to see if they are worn real badly. If the chain tensioner is at full adjustment the chain is shot. If the chain guides are worn real badly, just replace them ( there are two). Unfortionately this really requires disasembling the top half of the motor. You might be able to get an idea from through the cam cover.

Old 05-19-2004, 01:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. I think the chain must be shot. I checked the adjuster, and it is out quite far out. I will try a new chain and parts. This site is great lots of help and a few ideas to boot. Thanks again.

Old 05-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Oldmanwarrior when you are looking at the sprocket the line will be further towards the right. A new cam cain will help but most of the time it will still be off to the right a little. On my 446 kits I use a thicker head gasket so it is timed correctly.

Old 05-19-2004, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

Right on, thanks for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warrior Timing gear on the crank... WTF? how do you orient it?