Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Ramsey vs Warn winches

Old 04-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ramsey vs Warn winches

New to Forum,
Was wondering what you wheelers thought? Whcih winch is better? Ramsey or Warn, This would be mounted on a 2000 Honda Rancher ES.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Range Rover

I have a Warn 2.0 ci, and haven't had any problems out of it. It was a great investment.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2.5 warn on my sp. I have had no problems out of it. I'm a pretty big guy, and you know how big/heavy a Polaris is, and it does fine. I have limited experiance with a Ramsey, but from what I have done with my Warn, you cant go wrong with a Warn.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:45 AM
Range Rover

There both about the same in quality and craftsmenship Both excellent winches. I got a warn for cheap w/ a package deal so i love my warn.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

I am also comparing Warn and Ramsey winches. The Ramsey winches are pricier, But also they claim to draw way less amperage than the warn. True ?? Does anyone have any trouble with there battery and charging system operating the winch or is there upgrades that need to be done?? Will there be a noticeable difference in the two winches if the current draw difference is actual or just on paper ??

Old 04-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Range Rover

I don't think you will notice a difference if your atv is running. However, if you get into a situation where something is wrong and the quad won't run, the Ramsey might run longer if it takes less amperage. You have to be careful, because typically, if a motor pulls less amperage, it creates less power. If it creates less power, it will have to be geared down to pull the same load, causing it to be a slower winch. If it's slower, it might run longer, but not get you any farther.

Don't know anything about the Ramsey, you would have to speak to a tech guy from there. The motor could be more efficient than the one on the Warn, but I wouldn't think it would be much. Surely they didn't completely redesign the way an electric motor works. Call them and see. How much is the price difference? I got my Warn 2.0 ci, the mounting plate, and installation from my dealer when I bought my Eiger for $400.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Shopping around, on e-winches.com, I found the Ramsey winch to be about $100 less than the Warn.

Old 04-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eiger rider has it pretty close. The warn draws more power and is faster. The ramsey draws less but is slower. Both are built very well and would be a great addition to your atv. Just stay away from tusk/superwinch and the other bottom dwellers.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

I had a 2002 500 with a warn 2k that I plowed snow with. It had enough amp draw that I would have to put my battery on the charger when I was done plowing because there wasn't enough let to start it when it was cold. I just got a new 500 and this time I went with the Ramsey 3k with wireless remote thinking the amp draw might be just low enough that I don't have to put it on the charger when done plowing snow. I will have to wait until next winter to find out. (Plus I liked the idea of wireless)

I got mine with free shipping (winch only) at Trax Motorsports. You can compare prices and mix and match on the website. I ended up getting the warn mini rocker and the Ramsey mount for my 2004.5 sportsman. I should have got the Warn mount as the roller fairlead braket is much beefier. I ended up welding some straps to beef mine up. I am not sure about the mount on your Honda. I think they both have the exact same warranty although the 3k warn is a sealed unit and that might be enough to consider over the Ramsey. I think the Ramsey is cheaper at Trax MS so go with what you like. I don't think you can go wrong with either

I use the wireless to respool and play and the mini rocker on the handle bar for plowing.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

In addition to all these good posts, I've heard that the Ramsey winches use steel gears. May sound good, but when they get wet, in freezing temps, I've heard of them being susceptable to freezing up and won't turn. The Warns' have a teflon coating on the gears that resists this. Power wise, I'd say they're equal, maybe a little different gearing in them, but there's trade-off's for everything. There's design limitations on how much they can draw, or they'd kill your battery and charging system in a short period of time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ramsey vs Warn winches