Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Whats a Quadzilla worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a Quadzilla worth?

I came across a lt500 at a pawn shop today that the guy has had for 2 years so he says. I dont have much of the details on it yet, dont know what year. He said the guy that had it was running it on nitro (who knows, its an old man that doesnt know anything about it), but I think the piston is ruined in it(something in the motor is not right). The motor is supposed to have a lot of work done to it. The machine is very clean, cut plastic, it looks to be in very good shape. I am probably going to go in there in the next couple of days and see what he will do. I am fairly technically inclined (I own a 250r, are the motors fairly similiar?). I think he told my dad $1500, but Im sure he would take less to move it, its supposed to be a pawn note, and the owner never paid. What would be a good asking price? What do I need to look for?

Also I can get a bored cbr600 motor pretty cheap. Would this be a worthy project if the motor is ruined?

Old 04-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$1500 would be a steal. Zillas usualy go for between $2500 and $3500 around here. So even if thee is some work to be done, like putting $500 into the motor, you still have a cheap quad.

Old 04-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks slacker........

How is the ride quality of a lt500 compared to trx250r? I mainly ride dunes, I know it has the power, but how does it handle in the sand?

Old 04-07-2004, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

The quadzilla is big and heavy, so it it takes a little more effort to throw it around the dunes. I am also, mainly use to my LT250, so if I ride my LT500 or my brothers trx250, I just feel weird, but the quadzilla feels closer to a LT250. Overall though, it does handle fine. I would invest in some aftermarket shocks though.

Old 04-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

It's worth nothing, unless you have a buyer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, that was brillaint.
Think of that all on your own

Old 04-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

From another point of view: It's very easy to spend $1k on motor work on these machines (Many design shortfalls to correct)
DEPENDING on whats already been done to it (IF anything), you could be looking at quite a few bux to get it going again.

Slacker is right on with the average price range (Of a running machine), so let that be your guide.... Offer him $1k and see what happens... If he's really had it two years, and it's not completely junk... It's worth it.

If you want to do the street bike motor install... I'll buy the other motor from ya (Unrepaired of course)

My $.02

Old 04-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

might be worth having a look in a pricing guide, not sure what its called over your way, kellys blue book or something rings a bell,

i know it values them real low much lower than they realy sell for so if you take the guide when you go and hagle it may give you some leverage if this guy doesnt realy know what hes got[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Even if you buy it for $1500, and spend $1000 on the motor, you will still have a good deal, and a great fresh motor, which most running Quadzillas that are for sale for around $3000, don't have.

Truthfully, you can't go wrong.

I actually just purchased a 87 LT500 for $2000. It needs a top end job(maybe only a hone and rings), but it came with
Dirt tires all on Douglas rims, stock front tires and Great turf tamer rears.
Skat trak Haulers
Sand Skate 2's
Razor backs
Trinity porting
Aluminum front bumper and rear skid.
DG Aluminum Nerfs
Ricky Stator lighting system.
I ran it last weekend, but the guy I bought it from didn't tell me the water hose to the head wasn't hooked up(although it kinda looked like it was on a quick inspection), so I over heated it on a run.
As is I have it relisted in the paper for $3000 and expect to make at least $750 on it.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Well I went and looked at it today, and I was quite surpised. Still dont know what year it is. Any way to tell?

I got to looking at the motor, this thing is built. FTZ built motor bored 120 over (How far can this be bored out?). FTZ carb. FTZ bare metal drag pipe. The pipe is got a little rust on it, but I dont think it will be a problem. He wouldnt let me start it. I did push the kicker down and seems to have good compression. Said the guy that had was running it on nitro and mix it too strong and burnt up the piston. I dont know what to believe. If its just a piston and a rebuild, I could fix that pretty easy.

I think I am gonna get it, sounds like a good deal anyways. Even if I cant fix it, I think I can get my money back out of it.

It comes with some single rib sand tires on the front, and some wore out dirt tires on the back. Other than it looks good, good frame, arms, and swinger. Plastic is race cut and has a little crack towards the front of the tank area.

Quick Reply: Whats a Quadzilla worth?