Travel trailer atv carrier

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Travel trailer atv carrier

I need to transport my kid's quad (90cc Eton) on the back of my travel trailer. Has anyone ever mounted a hitch and atv carrier on the back of their trailer? My truck bed is already full, otherwise.... I know with fifth wheels you can put a hitch on and actually tow a trailer, but I just need a little carrier that will support about 300lbs. I saw someone going down the freeway with this type of setup, but could ask him how it worked or how he did it. Anyone know about how to do this or that has done this?

Old 02-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Range Rover

Well here is a link to get one of them:
http://www.kartworld.com/TRAILERS/TR...C-2-VH55DM.htm

It says for 2 dirtbikes, I dont know the width of your sons atv, but it seems like it might fit. Dont go by my word though. Personally, I prefer a trailer, even a small one, because those things cant hold that much, and its a lot of weight for the back of your car. I've been trying to get my dad to get one but he still insits on a trailer. Good luck and happy hunting![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, z250master,

I have looked at a version of that carrier (the one for atv's) and will problably get it if I can get a hitch installed on my trailer.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-06-2004, 05:54 PM
Range Rover

ohhhh!! Your going to put this on the back of your trailer!..stupid me, i think it basically all depends on the size of the trailer, how high it is, and how big your truck is. We bough the whole hitch kit for our truck, i'm sure you can get like a class 5 for your trailer, and just bolt it on the back of it. But it depends on the size of your trailer. Sorry about my misunderstanding before

Old 02-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer

How about one of the racks that mount above the hood of your truck? You could put your extra gas or whatever else mama won't let you put in the trailer on it. This way you won't be putting the added stress on the trailer bumper, which probably wouldn't hold up to well to the load and, it won't bounce going down the road.

Just a thought.
Jes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2004, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

jesbuilt,

What do you mean "the racks that mount above the hood of your truck"? I have never heard of them. I own the "ultimate racks" that mount inside the bed of my truck and fit two atv's side by side, facing forwards, but I've never heard of above the hood racks.
Do you mean like pipe racks or ladder racks?

Old 02-07-2004, 01:41 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah...... I guess you could say it looks like a ladder rack. It just doesn't go past the front of the bed.
You litterally load the bike from the side and it sits over the hood and cab(above the engine bay). I tried to find one through a search but haven't found anything. I know that someone makes them, I just haven't been able to find it...Yet.

How do you like the Ultimate rack? I did find that one. It wasn't to tuff. About everyother result was on the Ultimate rack. Looks very cool! And why do want something else if you have the Ultimate?

Jes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-07-2004, 03:43 AM
Quad Patrol

CurrDog, I put a basket on the back of my trailer. I use it to haul around my Honda 70 fourtrax. been doing it for 3 years now and no problems. Gone from central valley to pismo numerous times with no problems. I don't know how much the eton weighs. With a 5th wheel you might not need to worry to much about tongue weight. I also have a rack that I built to haul two of my quads in the back of my truck, they work great.

And just for info, in california you don't need to have a 5th wheel to pull two trailers anymore, as long as you have a larger ball on the front trailer say a 2 5/8 up front and a 2 inch on the rear trailer and you don't exceed the max vehicle length.

Old 02-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

jesbuilt,

The Ultimate Racks work wonderfully. I just used them for the first time last weekend and everything worked perfectly. It is very solid and secure. I have two Rincons that go on this rack so I need the alternitive method for the kids quad. It won't mount to the bumper though, it will mount to the frame underneath, then the atv carrier will slide into the 2" receiver on the hitch.

Rescuediver,

I have a trailer (not 5th wheel), otherwise I'd have no problem putting a hitch on. Did you mount a class III/IV hitch on your trailer frame then get the "basket" that mounts on the hitch? Did you have any issues with the hitch to frame mounting? I have a mallard 31' travel trailer (if comparible to yours). Did it affect your tongue wieght? I believe my Eton wieghs about 280lbs. Let me know what you had to go through to set this up. Also, where did you hear about being able to pull two trailers without a fifth-wheel in Calif.??

Thanks guys for the replies, it is this exchange of info. that makes these forums so worthwhile.

CurrDog

----------------------
04 Rincon GPS
04 Rincon non-GPS
02 Eton Sierra
Ultimate Racks
01 Mallard 31' travel trailer
01 F250 4x4 CrewCab 6" lift V10 w/ Banks

Old 02-10-2004, 04:00 AM
Quad Patrol

Currdog, I mounted the basket directly to my trailer frame, three grade 8 bolts on both side. the basket goes the width of my trailer and about 32 inches deep. I've had as much as 400 lbs on it. Now, I just put our fourtrax on it and the spare tire. It did take some of the weight off the tongue, I'm still within 12% of my trailer weight tho[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I confirmed this by taking my truck and trailer to the weigh station after a pismo trip. I also put water in the front tank to add a little more weight on the tongue.

As for the double trailers, I keep seeing 2-3 double trailers at pismo when we go. The lead trailer isn't a 5th wheel, so, I asked a couple of chippy buddies of mine. They told me that the laws have changed, as long as the front trailer has a larger ball then it is ok. You still need a class "A" endorsed license though. But California has now what is called a recreational class"A" license. The test is 2 part. Written, then being able to park your truck and trailer into a space that is 10" longer then the length of your truck and lead trailer combo. So, if your pulling 35 feet worth of truck/trailer, you need to park it in a space 45' wide. Also, you can't be longer then 65' which is the maximum length in Ca.