1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Linhai 400 utv

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linhai 400 utv

hello all. New here, but glad to find this site. Own a linhai 400 utv. Drives fine, but difficult to crank, and idles down and eventually dies. When I turn the key to start, there is sort of a whine in the starter for about 2-3 seconds, and then engine starts to turn over. Has to turn over for several seconds with full choke on (even after it's warm) and finally fires. Then, if I dont touch gas pedal- eventually idles down, spits and sputters and dies. When I adjusted idle up, idles too fast to put in gear without grinding the gears. Thought it needed a valve adjustment- so did that, but only seemed to help a little. Shill having same issue. Basically, it idles so poorly, I can't get off the machine and even get the mail from the mailbox without it dying and then a hard start to get it back on. Any got any thoughts or experienced this?

Old 10-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

pull the carb apart, pull the jets, clean the jets and the neede valve/seat. sounds like a fuel delivery issue. don't just spray carb cleaner in there....take it apart and physically clean them.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Trailblazer

New guy to this forum.
Was the UTV sitting awhile when this happened? When you have it running can you rev it? Do you have an air filter? These are the simple things to check.
Nowadays gasoline shelf life is very short and becomes shellac and has a tendency to clog the carb.
I used to work on motorcycles and most of the time if I have idle issue its the carb.
I also use fuel stabilizers in all the gas I have for my toys since they don't get used everyday as this keeps the gasoline in liquid form after many months.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I use yamaha's fuel stabalizer/cleaner in my fuel every time. Going on 2 months on a bottle where 2-3 machines are used alot on the weekends. The little 110 gio I'm now having to readjust the carb as the previous owner just let it sit and all I did was just dump the fuel and fill with fresh and the stabalizer. It's now cleaning itself out so a little tweeking is due to undo the adjustments they did.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Trailblazer

You may have to mess with the fuel/air screw as well as the idle screw. If it has an air screw, you may either have too much or not enough air getting in which can choke or flood the carb. You should have a good start point for tuning if you turn the screws in all the way and then back them out 2 1/2 full turns then start the motor and begin adjusting. As was stated above, make sure your jets and all air and fuel ports are clean before you try to tune it.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Linhai 400utv fixed

folks, thanks for taking the time on the replies. I took the first suggestion and took the carb apart. Sure enough, gummy bowl and idle jet totally clogged up. (Dude I got it from said it had been sitting a while in a storage unit-but it went down the road beautifully, so carb wasn't my first thought...that's when I did the valve adjustment. )

So, got the carb all cleaned up (all the jets while I was in there) put it back on and now it fires right up and just purrs:thanks like a kitten even when it is cold out. Just turned 200 miles on the UTV odometer and it is 100% fixed and reliable. Thanks again to everyone with their tips on this fix and for the video!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

awsome

Old 12-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

accidentally put some oil gas mixture in my linhai 350 and now it wont start. Stater fluid not helping. How hard is it to pull the carb off and what do I need to know? Thanks

Old 12-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

Hello wanabe32, if you put the oil gas mix into a 4 stroke, then you'll need to take the gas tank off and dump out the fuel as well as clean your carb. The carb is really easy to get to. Just take off the breather hose, disconnect the throttle cable from the carb---(I'm not entirely sure what kind of carb set up you have on that machine, but it's not difficult to do on any of the models I've seen), unbolt the carb from the head, disconnect the fuel line from the petcock (after making sure that the petcock is switched to the "off" position, and pull the carb out.
It sounds like a lot by reading it, but it's really not and it's really easy to do.

Also, for future reference, if you have a question try starting a new thread rather than asking on someone else's thread. It's really no big deal, but you chance no one seeing your post and answering your questions if you don't start your own thread.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I ended up getting some responses to my original thread after your post. I'm going to get the bad gas out (and good in) check the spark and then, if necessary, go after the carb. Wish me luck!